Monday 30 November 2009

Sunday 29/11/2009 - Stafford Moor Teams of Four

Bela and I were joined at the Globe Inn by fellow team members Rich Coles and Paul Locke. We had a great evening dinner; my sirloin steak was the best I’ve had for a long time. Because I have to minimise my alcohol intake due to gout issues I was off to bed early after just four pints. The heavy weights stayed up much later with a gallon or more on board by lights out!


At the draw I was asked by Captain Rich which lake I wanted to fish, Tanners or Woodpecker. As I am unfamiliar with the fishery I left it up to the Captain, which left Bela and I drawing for the two pegs on Woodpecker. I pulled peg 10 (see lake plan showing my two weekend pegs pictured right) and Bela peg 26. Rich was on Tanners peg 13 and Paul on fancied peg 35.

Well when I got to my peg my first thoughts were what a strange peg and why had it been pegged!! The platform looked directly up the lake and my LH margin being the main open water of the lake. As it was an out and out Carp match (highest weights of all species wins the section) I soon realised that to my RH margin was a group of trees that overhung the lake by at least 3 metres, which was surely a holding point for some munter Carp!! However, as with all my margin pegs I like to feed little and often gradually building the Carps confidence, then go in after them in the last couple of hours or so. So my plan was to fish for Silvers in open water for half the match and Carp for the second half. I set up two rigs the same Skimmer rig as the previous day plus a corn rig for the RH margin (another painful left handers peg ). I must have been the only angler that didn’t set up a waggler of lead rod!! I started on the Silver rig feeding identical to the previous day with similar results. After about an hour and having about 4lb of Silvers I hooked a Carp. I then up the size of elastic and first put back in hooked and landed another Carp. At this point I decided to give up on the Silvers and go in to the margin early for more carp (for the team’s sake you understand). I used a size 18 Colmic Nuclear hook (very strong and sharp) tied directly to 0.18 G Line for the corn, which was hooked very lightly – one strike and it’s off. First put in and the corn was taken on the drop and the third Carp was in the net. I then had another six Carp in consecutive put-ins, losing only one under the platform. With one hour to go the swim completely dried up. I was left with small Skimmers and Ronnie’s mouthing the corn. At this point I should have gone back out for Silvers, but I was hoping for a couple more carp which didn’t materialise. I weighed 4lb 14oz of Silvers and my nine Carp weighed 45lb for a total of 49lb 14oz, which point me fourth in the section and tenth overall. Whilst packing the van Bela said he thought he might have won the Silvers with just 9lb 8oz. I thought this unlikely. Back at the results, guess what Bela (pictured right) did win the Silvers and I was absolutely amazed when I was told I had won £40 for second in the Silvers!!


The match was won by Gary Webber from Woodpeckers peg 3 with 97lb 3oz. Gary caught on waggler and straight lead using corn hook bait.
Team wise Somerset stormed the match with just 9 penalty points. Charlie’s Angels ended with 22 penalty points for 5th overall. Paul Lock did best in the team with 52lb and a section second.

The man of the weekend must be Steve Kedge (pictured bottom right) who had a second placings on both days and lead his team to first overall. Well done matey.

Full Result:


  1. Gary Webber 97-09-0 peg 3 W
  2. Steve Kedge 86-05-0 peg 22 W
  3. Mel King 72-01-0 peg 16 W
  4. Bryan Shanks 64-08-0 peg 3 T
  5. Nick Jones 60-14-0 peg 4 W
  6. Ray Hayward 59-18-0 peg 18 T
Top Silvers:

  1. Bela Bakos 9-08-0 peg 26 W
  2. Mike Nicholls 4-14-0 peg 10 W (Accidental)
Top Teams:

  1. Somerset Angling 9 points (Penalty)
  2. Avon Angling 12 points
  3. Stafford Moor 16 points
Finally: The Stafford Moor Christmas match is to be held on the 30th December - Contact Andy on 01805 804360 to book in.

No comments: