Thursday 5 November 2009

Thursday 05/11/2009 - Bathampton AA Over 55's - Bridge Pool

Firstly I must apologies to Head Coffin Dodger – Tom Coulson for adding a “t” in his surname; it must be us Bristolian’s slipping up and adding a “T” instead of the usual “L”, plus the fact no one can understand what Tom says most of the time coming from Geordie land!!

Despite the previous days weather it was another good turn out. I just wanted to draw a peg out of the wind today as my eyes were really sore after yesterdays match. Luckily I drew peg 23 in a quiet cove, but not that spectacular for the fishing. However, I was happy to go and make the most of it. The colour had really dropped out of the water, so fishing for the Silvers close in wasn’t an option; in fact I wasn’t fancying the peg for Silver and set up for a Carp attack. So the usual paste rig was set up, plus a maggot rig for fishing on the drop at 5 metres. After feeding the RH margin with a pot of micro I started by kinder potting a pinch of wetted micro with a pinch of red maggot on the 5 metre rig. I soon had my first fish a ½ oz Ronnie! However, I then had a run of 3oz Skimmers throwing a couple back due to them sticking to my palm with fish slime – must be more careful as a few ounces can cost you!! I kept loose feeding the margin but could see no point in trying it as the water was so clear the Carp would soon let the presence be known. I persevered with the 5 metre line and did manage to land a pound Skimmer and a similar size Perch. I was getting a few indications on the drop so shallowed up to 3 inches off bottom which lead to a run of 1 to 2oz Ronnie’s and another pound perch. With half hour to go and with no sign of activity in the margin I decided to increase the maggot feed at 5 metres and after a few quick Ronnie bites (a sure indication that Carp are around) I hooked and landed a 7lb 8oz Carp. With only a few minutes left I hooked another Carp but it slipped the hook (I knew this would cost me coin and it did). Just enough time to go out again and on the whistle another bite and I bloody missed it! I weighed 8lb 12oz of Silvers for third and one once out of the Silvers pool. My sole Carp helped me to a total of 16lb 4oz fro fourth overall and again one out of the coin in the overall pool. I really enjoyed the day and was well contented coming close to both the Silvers and overall coin.

My peg was down for weighing in, so I weighed from the far end first. On returning to my peg I had a last look in the margin and sure enough the Carp had moved in, discolouring the water another half hour would have done it.

A Half way through the match a first ever experience for me. Mike Jones had a 6oz Skimmer taken (including his hook, line and sinker) by a Heron – one of the shyest birds!! Apparently this particular Heron has been attacking anglers. I remember my good friend Ron Gaulton (RIP) playing a Seagull in the air at Baltic Wharf that had dived down and taken a 6oz Roach. Ron landed both up in the air in his keep net – never to be forgotten.


The match was won by Steve Jefferies (pictured right with the Silvers winner and match organiser Colin Golding - looks as if Colin's got a new comb) with 39lb 2oz from peg 7. Steve caught all Carp on 6 mm pellet fished at 11.5 metres.

The Silvers was won by Carp Guru Terry Bruton with his highest ever Silvers weight in the Over 55’s with 9lb 9oz from peg 17. Runner up in the Silvers was Pete Bryers with 8lb 13oz (1oz more than me!!). Pete’s catch included a 4lb Tench. Well done matey couldn’t happen to a nicer fellow.

Full result:

1. Steve Jefferies 39-02-0 peg 7
2. Rich Coles 19-05-0 peg 8
3. Terry Bruton 16-14-0 peg 17
4. Mike Nicholls 16-04-0 peg 23
5. Pete Phillips 15-02-0 peg 28
6. Mike Jones 14-04-0 peg 26

Top Silvers:

1. Terry Bruton 9-09-0 peg 17
2. Pete Bryers 8-13-0 peg 11
3. Mike Nicholls 8-12-0 peg 23

1 comment:

Mike Jones said...

Head coffin dogger???