Wednesday 23 September 2009

Wednesday 23/09/2009 - Carps AC - Cider Farm - Yarlington Mill

There was no where else to be but Cider Farm today. This has to be one of my best days so far this year, with both the overall and Silvers records being beaten and the top six all returning ton plus weights.


I drew peg 25 and was a little concerned as the angler on the peg Sunday DNW’d. However, Mark Gibson came along and assured me that there were plenty of Carp and Skimmers in the peg. He also said it would fish well today due to the overcast and mizzle. Well with the mention of Skimmers that decided me to an out and out Silvers attack, setting up two 3.5 metre whips (one that would handle Carp and the other wouldn’t!). I also set up a 4 x 16 Jolly shotted to fish on the drop. I did set up a margin paste rig just in case. I started on the maggot and carp whip shallow and had a Carp first put in on single maggot. I then had a couple of Rudd, then another Carp. I decide to try on the bottom with the Jolly and started to catch decent Skimmers to 2 ½ lb. Then more Carp. At the half way stage I had worked out a feeding pattern – catch shallow until a Carp is hooked then go deep and then vis versa. I managed to keep the Silvers coming. I had been drip feeding the LH margin all match and after two hours noticed Carp taking the 4mm pellet on the drop!! With 12 minutes to go I had to give the paste a go in the Margin. Well solid or what I landed six and lost one in those twelve minutes!! I weighed in 83lb 2oz of “accidental” Carp and 44lb 7oz of Skimmers (me pictured right with Silvers net). This put me first in the Silvers and third overall with 130lb 9oz and a pick up of £45. On hindsight I should have gone in the margin at half time as I had the Silvers well won by then. I think I would have also won the match if I had.


The match was won by Marks Broomsgrove (pictured right with the Silvers record holder) with a new lake record of 172lb 10oz from peg 54. Mark fish at full depth with corn, feeding about three small tins of corn mixed with some 4mm pellet.

Full Result:

1. Mark Broomsgrove 172-10-0 peg 54 (New Lake Record)
2. Chris Davis 136-13-0 peg 46
3. Mike Nicholls 130-09-0 peg 25
4. Rich Coles 125-13-0 peg 40
5. Mike Owens 118-02-0 peg 41
6. Steve Jefferies 113-04-0 peg 14

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 44-07-0 peg 25 (New Lake Record)
2. Bill Ferris 13-13-0 peg 4

3 comments:

Rod Wootten said...

like an illness this virmin fishing, can it be treated.
well done Mike.

Tim Ford said...

Fair play Mike, a great days fishing. Carp on a whip, nice!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Rod

Had you been in the peg I am sure you would have had 200lb + with your shallow pellet method.