Sunday 6 September 2009

Sunday 07/09/2009 - Carps AC - Rood Ashton

Happy Birthday Steve 36 today. Travel with Mark Tanner again today and he arrived spot on time, but he spoiled it all when he said "What time was I suppose to pick you up" - nothing changes!

I reckoned that this would be the last match this season that the fish would feed on this venue. Due to the depth of water (18 inches) the fish hibernate during the winter months. Judging by the results I was right.

Rod Wootton had an interesting time at the draw. He initially pulled out peg 24 - John Bradford declared there wasn't a peg 24 and Rod should fish a peg - 1A! Every one wanted to draw peg 21 - guess what it wasn't in the draw! Rod's peg 24 should have read peg 21. Rod 24, 1A and 21 are all still classed flyer!! Half way through I thought I saw Rod fishing paste (this is from 120 metres away - I miss nothing) - no couldn't be. After the match I couldn't wait to challenge Rod on this one. After some arm twisting Rod admitted to using paste because he couldn't catch on hard pellet. He also confirmed that he brought the paste with him - I thought the only paste Rod used was to stick paper to the walls - another one out of the closet. By the way you were beat off the next peg by a ten stone weakling fishing hard pellet.

I drew peg 18 which was one above the outfall peg 19. I wasn't that pleased with the peg as it is cut right back with a fallen Willow tree submerged to my right out to 15 metres. I decided to fish for Ronnie's on both the elasticated whip and a top set with a Preston PB14 (the only thing Preston make that is any good). I also set up the usual soft pellet and paste rigs for out at 13 metres and for both left and right hand margins. Second cast on the whip with maggot hook bait resulted in a 3oz Ronnie. Next cast and I lost a complete rig including one of my best home made floats to a big Carp - it must have been foul hooked - I then tried the pellet and had one missed bite. I then decided to set up a light whip rig (0.1 mm G-Line) for the Ronnie's. I subsequently caught well for about an hour before I was bust again, but only the hook length this time. I started to understand the feeding a bit better and could tell when carp came over the maggot and was able to land five decent carp using my PB14 with a 0.14 hook length and 16 lacci. I tried the paste in the LH margin only and had a couple of liners - the carp didn't appear to want the pellet or paste today. I weighed 12lb of Ronnie' and 29 lb of Carp for a total of 41lb. This put me 8th overall and second in the Silvers for a pick up of £40.



The match was won by Gordon Cannings (pictured right with the silvers winner Bill Ferris) from peg 3 with 96lb 12oz. Gordon caught at 13 metres using and feeding 8mm hard pellet.

The Silvers was won by Bill Ferris with 15lb 14oz from peg 13 using maggot close in to his RH margin.

Full Result:

1. Gordon Cannings 96-12-0 peg 2
2. John Baker 82-14-0 peg 20
3. Scott "Eddy"Lovell 63-05-0 peg 5
4. Shaun Townsend 60-08-0 peg 14
5. Rod Wootton 57-08-0 peg 1A
6. Rich Lacey 48-12-0 peg 6

Top Silvers:

1. Bill "Maggot Man" Ferris 15-14-0 peg 13
2. Mike Nicholls 12-0-0 peg 18

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

trust the gimp to get it wrong with the pegging. we better rename him the gump