Saturday 11 July 2009

Saturday 11/07/2009 - Hillview Open

Son Steve and I were back to our old haunts – Hillview for thier Saturday open. The match was being fished on Heron and Canal One. Steve and I walked the venue and neither of us fancied the Canal. The water looked a bit too clear. Steve thought corner peg 30 on Heron might be a good draw (and it was).

Steve pulled out peg 28 and I pulled peg 36 both of us on Heron Lake. Both pegs being reasonable draws. Although I was exactly opposite Steve I couldn’t quite see him because of a tiny island being between us. I started at 6 metres on expander pellet over kinder potted 4mm pellet (I decided to take it easy with the feed). I had couple of Skimmers and two Gold fish, but the going was slow. I then hooked a good fish which broke me, I thought! On examination I had a curly bit of line left, the tale - tale sign of a bad knot (triple reef) – bugger, I had lost the lot. I could see a lot of fish on the surface out by the tiny island so took a break and tackled up the pellet waggler. First cast and a 3lb Carp – great I've got in cracked…Then ten Canadian Geese entered the lake from the adjacent empty pallet and decided to make a hell of a commotion around the island! I knew I had a good margin swim so having fed it steady for the past hour or so (it is good policy not go straight in to a margin swim) I decided to try the paste. I then caught Carp to 8lb steady for the rest of the match lightly feeding wetted 4 mm pellet through a kinder pot. For some strange reason you are not allowed to pot in paste at Hillview, which makes it a bit more difficult, so best fish short as possible. I weighed 84lb 14oz for second in the match and a pick up of £40. It was a change for me to be “ouncing out” someone one else - sorry Steve Ayres!! Driving back home son Steve said to me your were brave telling a seven footer "let that be a lesson to you" . It's the little blokes you need to be careful with; not the gentle giants.

Steve finished fifth overall with 52lb 6oz and like me had lost quite a few foul hookers. Probably because the fish weren’t really feeding today. I took the video (bottom left) of Steve being weighed in by the Hill’s with their very efficient system. Note the bucket and how long Keith takes to decide the weight. I think this method is more fish friendly than the purse net. I wonder what Steve Long's opinion of this would be?


The winner was Richard Ahern (pictured right) from peg 30 with 102lb 13oz. Richard caught most of his fish from the corner margin using corn hook bait. His catch included a 13lb Grass Carp.

Full Result:

1. Richard Ahern 102-13-0 peg 30
2. Mike Nicholls 84-14-0 peg 36
3. Steve Ayres 84-4-0 peg 34 (only 10 more oz)
4. Lee Werrit 75-09-0 peg 26 (caught shallow on the pole)
5. Steve Nicholls 56-06-0 peg 28
6. Alan Such 55-12-0 peg 23

No comments: