Wednesday 17 December 2008

Wednesday 17/12/2008 Carps AC - Christmas Match - Plantation Match Lake

With the weather being the coldest start to the winter for 33 years (remember the statements re-global warming - "warmer, dryer winters"!). The weather is turning a bit for the better with the temperatures today in the high fives - at least no ice to clear. All the anglers were surprised to find that the match fee today (for a Wednesday) was £25!!!! The explanation was that Carps AC had bought more prizes that budgeted for! How come the Chairman ran a raffle for the remaining prizes!!! I was assured that the Sunday Christmas match will be the usual cost of £21.

It is good to see Colin Golding back to full form - I could hear him moaning about the Ronnies taking his 6mm pellet 50 metres away - the Ronnies must hate him. I though it prudent to give the link to a video converted from super 8 - filmed in 1973. You will see/hear a number of well known names throughout - but take particular care around 7 - 8 minutes. Name the two top Bristol anglers? no prizes!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-264761496562093844&hl=en

I drew peg 10 (permanent peg 12), which in the far left hand bay. I have never see any weight come from this area, although I was informed differently. There were a number of small blips from very, very small fish, so I decided to set up the 4 metre whip to fish over ground bait. I also set up w 4x14 to fish at 10 metres both at 10 o clock and 2 o clock. One to fish red maggot over GB the other 4mm pellet over micro. I started on cater over loose fed caster, which resulted in a 4oz Ronnies ans lots of un-hittable bites. These were less than 1oz Ronnies. The upshot was I struggled for anything decent and rotated the three swims for the five hours. However, I did have four small Skimmers consecutively once the sun went in for five minutes. I weighed 4lb 11 oz for 5th in the Silvers and ninth overall. I picked up 24 bottles of Stella Artios.

The match was won by Mike Owens (pictured right) from point peg 4 with six Carp for 21lb 4oz. Mike caught his fish on the straight lead to the opposite island.

The Silvers was won by Rich Coles from peg 1 with 9lb 10oz of Skimmers nad one decent Perch. Both anglers picked up identical Christmas hampers (thanks to Bill Ferris).

Full result:

1. Mike Owens 21-12-0 peg 4
2. Andy Curry 16-07-0 peg 6
3. Rich Coles 9-10-0 peg 1
4. Dave Bacon 7-12-0 peg 9
5. John Thompson 7-0-0 peg 19
6. Andrew Shearn 5-13-0 peg 5

Top Silvers:

1. Rich Coles 9-10-0 peg 1
2. John Thompson 7-0-0 peg 19

No comments: