Sunday 21 December 2008

Sunday 21/12/2008 Carps AC - Christmas Match - Viaduct - Campbell - Cary and Spring Lakes

We now find ourselves in a mild spell, forecast up to Christmas day. Light SW winds with temperatures 11 degrees.

I criticise match organisation at much as anyone - but I always give credit where its due. Today, the match was run extremely well by Paul Garrett, ably assisted by Gordon Cannings (he's the quiet one - who just gets on with it) and Martin Preston. The pools options were spot on (£5 Section - £5 Silvers - £5 Carp - no default - excellent) as was the prizes which were purchased and made up in to seasonal hampers by Mike West. Well done Mike - Professional job. Its these touches that make matches bench mark , as was the Bathampton AA Christmas matches of years gone by.

Sorry Steve, forgot to take my camera - catch you next time).

At the draw John Bennett handed me cheques for the following:
  • £50 for the highest number of Silvers win over the year (seven wins)

  • £30 for the third lowest winning weight
I was also informed that I needed to come at least third in the Silvers to win another £50 for the four monthly Silvers aggregate - John Bradford was currently a head of me by seven points (how did get all these points!!)
I could not believe my draw today - Spring Lake peg 2 - this is the fourth time in five consecutive matches that I have drawn this peg. It surely must be a flyer!! However, experience was telling me not to expect much, I took consolation in that I could try out my new pole. I set up a 3AAA waggler, a Skimmer rig and the four metre whip. I was undecided about feeding ground bait, but none the less fed two testicle size at the start at 12 metres. I started on the whip to see if the Ronnies were having a go, whilst the Skimmers settle over the GB. Straight away I started to catch small Ronnies on caster and decided to keep them coming for the first hour - in which time I caught 75 (per hour). On the hour I tried the Skimmer line for five minutes - nothing - the GB wasn't working - I couldn't see anyone catching opposite on the Skimmer pegs either. Um! I potted another GB testicle and resumed on the Ronnies. I tried another two times for the Skimmers - however, my new pole remains a virgin (I will discuss my new pole, etc... in my "End of year report and lessons learnt" journal - watch out for it over Christmas. I carried on to the end of the match catching small Ronnies. At the weigh-in I had 15lb 14oz (I estimated this to be 375 fish). I was surprised to learn that this gave me first in the Silvers and sixth overall (plus second on the Lake) and a pick up of £60, plus a lovely hamper. This also won me the four monthly Carps AC Silvers prize of £50 (John Bennett can now put my name on the cheque).

The match was won by Steve Denmead with 88lb 8oz from Cary peg 78.

Full result:

1. Steve Denmead 88-08-0 peg 78
2. Barry Fitchew 85-08-0 peg 134
3. Tim Pallant 70-12-0 peg 110
4. Ray Hayward 27-10-0 peg 8
5. Joss Garrett 18-07-0 peg 85
6. Mike Nicholls 15-14-0 peg 2

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 15-14-0 peg 2
2. Paul Garrett 15-12-0 peg 24 (unlucky - 2oz the difference)

1 comment:

mike west said...

A very happy Christmas and a prosperous new year to all at carps A.C. well done Mike on your article on the Christmas match and on the day winning the silvers, and thanks for your comments much appreciated many thanks Mike West