Thursday 30 October 2008

Thursdays 30/10/08 Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge Pool

The latest News on Colin Golding is that he is now at home and looking much better. I hope Colin takes some time off fishing during these cold winter months to get himself back to his old self . In the mean time he will be missed, especially by the Silver Anglers - Colin is always good competition in this respect - the man to beat.

After two previous consecutive days of heavy frost (the first of the year) a very cold North Easterly welcomed us. Despite this, another good turn out. All the competitors were thinking negatively in terms of winning weights, especially, as most venues have been suffering from water temperature drops and poor weights. However, we need not had worried, as the venue fished exceptionally well. I think this was primarily due to the excellent pegging by Bob Warren and Terry Bruton - these two know the venue better than anyone.

Bob Warren drew my peg and I his. Thanks Bob for the best winter peg on the venue! I drew peg 18 for Bob, which is the best Summer peg!! Terry drew peg 7 which is the peg he had practiced on the Monday and bagged up (you can see how serious these matches can be to some). I only set up one rig which was a 4x16 Jolly with a 16 Tubertini 808 hook. This rig can fish baits from 6mm expander to single maggot and any size in between. I plumbed this up at top set plus two (about five metres). I choose a top set with a soft 6-12 Maver hollow elastic (which I later changed to a stiffer 18 - 22 Middy hollow). I decided that single maggot over maggot and nuggets ground bait was a good start, which resulted in a couple of 1lb Skimmers and one lost foul hooked carp. I then got bitted out by 1oz Ronnies, so switched to 6mm expander and had a run of Skimmers from 4oz to 1lb, with the odd Ronnie. I decided to loose feed maggot to my left with the anticipation that the small Ronnies would follow the "piper", so that I could get back on to the Skimmers with double red. This worked and I netted a few more Skimmer until I latched into my first double figure Carp. I kept a few Skimmers coming in between landing four quality Carp for a Carp weight of 47lb 14oz and a Silvers weight of 13lb 8oz for a total of 61-06-0. This put me first in the Silvers and second overall for a pick up of £25.


The match was won by "the master" - Terry Bruton (practice makes perfect - picture right with part of his catch) with eight carp for 68 4oz from peg 7. Terry fished the waggler at depth - mid lake, with hair rigged hard pellet. Terry fed sparingly through out.

Full Result:

1. Terry Bruton 68-04-0 peg 7
2. Mike Nicholls 61-06-0 peg 31
3. Martin Alexander 39-03-0 peg 23 (good weight from this peg)
4. John Bradford 35-12-0 peg 24
5. Terry Church 28-13-0 peg 30
6. Bob Warren 19-05-0 peg 18

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 13-08-0 peg 31
2. Geoff Stones 12-10-0 peg 16
3. Bill Ferris 10-04-0 peg 4

No comments: