Sunday 12 October 2008

Sunday 12/10/08 Avon Angling Open - Landsend Fishery

Most anglers fishing today were practicing for the forth coming Veals Teams of Four Winter League. The match was run by Tony Rixon (picture top right). His matches are fondly referred to as "Rixon Rip offs". Tony had 30 fishing and pegged 15 on Specimen Lake and 15 on John's Water (also know as the "Third Lake"). Tony ran the two Lakes as separate matches, paying the top three and one Silver pool on each.
Having walked around before the draw I wanted to draw John's Water (against most other Anglers wishes).
I drew peg 51 on John's and was delighted, because it was the same peg I drew when Darren Gillman and I won the Carps AC pairs match. However, since then a bush had appeared on the far bank giving the peg more "Angler appeal". I decided to set up for the far bank with a 12x10 TBF Cult, Paste rig at 7 metres to fish over my pellet line, which I planned to start with on a 2x10 Jolly and of course my usual caster Ronnie rig.
I started on 4mm pellet and caught F1's, Skimmers and small Crucians for about an hour until the sun broke through and the Carp moved in. Went out on the paste and had two double figure fish straight away. I decided that I needed to focus on the Silvers and went on to my Ronnie rig. I had one Skimmer and two Ronnies before the Carp moved over the caster. Again I landed two doubles on the caster, before trying the pellet line again to no avail. Back on the paste and one more double, before trying corn over on the far bank. I had three bites on the corn all three fish lost due to being extremely small. I then decide with one hour to go to focus on the Ronnie line and by keeping the caster loose feed to the minimum I kept a few 3oz Ronnies going to the end.
I weighed 20lb 8oz of Silvers for first in the silvers (on both lakes) and 45lb 8oz of carp for a total of 66lb and second on the lake (second weight on both lakes) and a pick up of £60. Tony Rixon picked up the Silvers pool by default with 17lb 8oz.
John's lake and the match was won by Jamie Dyte (pictured right - he does smile occasionally) on peg 61 with 114lb 12oz. Jamie fished both at 10 metres and in the margin on paste over 4mm pellet, feeding about four pints over the six hours. Jamie fished a very good match.
The Specimen lake was won by Steve Mayo with 62lb 4oz from peg 31. Steve fished 17 metres with corn over caster.
So I have learnt that I want to draw either of the two furthest lakes i.e. not Match or Specimen!!
Full Result:
John's Water:
1. Jamie Dyte 114-12-0 peg 61
2. Mike Nicholls 66-0-0 peg 51
3. Gary Wall 59-07-0 peg 68
Top Silvers:
1. Mike Nicholls 20-08-0 peg 51
2. Tony Rixon (by Default) 17-10-0 peg 46
Specimen Lake:
1. Steve Mayo 62-04-0 peg 31 (don't forget my elastic)
2. Andy Palmer 41-12-0 peg 35
3. Andy France 39-03-0 peg 36
Top Silvers:
1. Julian Heaven 19-03-0 peg 38
2. Rich Coles 17-08-0 peg 30 (went home thinking he won the Silvers, "have I got news for you" matey - I picked nothing up for you!!)

No comments: