Wednesday 10 September 2008

Wednesday 10/09/2008 Carps AC - Huntstrete Withy Pool

I have just realised that today I have fished a match without it raining! I drew peg 54, which is behind the furthest island. The wind was being funnelled down through the gap between the island and the bank, into my face which was going to make it difficult to present for the Ronnies. I decided to feed some ground bait with micro and a few 4mm pellet in to 7 foot of water at top set plus two on for the Skimmers. I started on the top set with caster and could not get a bite. So out on the 6mm GOT expander pellet for the skimmers. I caught about four then foul hooked a Carp. From hence I kept missing what seemed positive bites. I tried small pieces of paste, which resulted in a couple more Skimmers. The catch rate was not good enough. So back on the caster and top set which started to deliver some quality Ronald's to 1lb 8oz. Because of the wind I set up a three metre whip and waggler. I alternated between the waggler and top set to keep a few Ronnies coming, with the odd Skimmer/Hybrids on the Skimmer line. With five minutes to go I hooked a large Carp which was landed five minutes after the whistle. This cost me first in the Silvers. I weighed 15lb 12oz of Silvers and 11lb 10oz Carp for fifth in the match and second in the Silvers and a pick up of £15.

The Match was won by Terry Bruton (pictured top right) from peg 59 with 85lb 12oz. Terry fished the pole at 14.5 metres to the island with banded hard pellet on the hook, fished over 10mm hard pellet. Terry's first three Carp weighed in at 34lb!

The Silvers was won by Keith Firks from peg 47 with 2oz more then me - 15lb 14oz! Keith fished sweet corn on the hook over sweet corn. Keith qualified for the Carps AC Wednesday Silversmania.
Colin Golding broke his number four section of his Maver 401 (again) whilst playing a Carp. I watched him playing the fish, and must say, he wasn't putting that much pressure on. The section never had the decency to make any noise when it broke! Terry Bruton and I rescued the top set which still had the Carp on it. Unfortunately Colin then proceeded to lose it.

Full Result:

1. Terry Bruton 85-12-0 peg 59
2. Chris Fox 64-06-0 peg 51
3. Bob Price 48-14-0 peg 43
4. Keith Firks 31-10-0 peg 47
5. Mike Nicholls 27-10-0 peg 54
6. Bob Warren 27-01-0 peg 45

Top Silvers:

1. Keith Firks 15-14-0 peg 47
2. Mike Nicholls 15-12-0 peg 54
3. Bob Warren 14-12-0 peg 45
4. Bill Ferris 14-0-0 peg 50

For those wanting to fish Rood Ashton I have attached a map from Google Earth - for guidance only!

No comments: