Wednesday 12 March 2008

Wednesday 12/03/2008 Carps AC - Plantation - Main Lake

Three days of non stop high winds (gusts to 60mph) nearly stopped me going. My liking for the venue swayed me. The water quality and condition of the fish are superb, but hard to catch!
I pegged the match so that everyone had the wind off their backs. I drew peg 4 which is permanent peg 30. For the slayers this would be normally a straight lead chuck to the island gap with sweet corn , however, as usual, I went after the Silvers (Roach/Skimmers/Crucians). I decided on a 6m line due to the high wind, where I found six foot of water. I fed for Skimmers. Presentation was difficult but the tow was enough to drag the float around against the wind. I could not form a feeding pattern that kept the fish coming. In hindsight I probably fed too much. The upshot was that I struggled all day for 5lb 12oz and 3rd in the Silvers consisting of mixed bag of Roach, Skimmers, Crucians, Perch.

Because of the conditions I new the match would be close, which it was. All the silvers were taken on single red or white maggot.

The match was won by Mike Owens (pictured) from peg 34 fishing sweet corn into the left hand margin. He weighed four Carp for 12lb 11oz. Colin Golding won the Silvers from permanent peg 27 with 7lb 2oz ( 1lb 6oz more than me!).

Full Result:

1. Mike Owens 12-11-0
2. Andy Gard 8-10-0
3. Colin Golding 7-2-0
4. John Bennett 6-15-0
5. Mike Nicholls 5-12-0
6.Tom Newell 5-5-0

Top Silvers: Colin Golding 7-2-0 (Wednesday Silversmania qualifier)

No comments: