Thursday 21 March 2013

Thursday 21/03/2013 - Bathampton AA/Veals - Silvers Championship - Round Six - Bridge Pool

In my previous blog covering the match at BAA Huntstrete - Withy Pool I stated that the lake had been netted and Silver fish removed (which was my understanding together with many other anglers). I received the following part communication from the Secretary of Bathampton AA Dave Crookes who I have known for 40 years first meeting through the BAA affiliated clubs back in the 70’s.

“Just read your report on fishing Withy yesterday. You mention that you haven't fished the lake since the small fish were removed - where the hell do you get your information from, why don't you give me a ring. Withy was survey netted (for the first time since its opening in May 1999) in March last year, the Over 55’s were fishing Bridge Pool on the same day. Apart from 7 big carp being transfered to the Main Lake NO SILVERS WERE REMOVED (I think Dave’s shouting at me here) and none have ever been removed. As you know 155 big bream were transferred to Withy from the Main Lake year before last”.

As far as I am concerned if Dave Crookes say’s they didn’t net the Lake for Silvers then they didn’t. So it looks as if those not catching fish here will have to come up with another excuse! Might be me next match.

If any BAA member wishes to discuss Dave’s email further please contact him direct.
Over the last few years the weather in this country has been abysmal. Even though today was the first day of spring there was no change, in fact it was the worse conditions I have fished in this winter. The only thing that keeps me in this country is the fishing, today left me wondering whether it’s worthwhile.

The draw was made for the knockout and I was paired with Dave Gillard. Dave is a great drinking partner but needed a better draw than peg 10 to beat me, which I was secretly hoping he would. Alas not. Nether the less Dave is in the final fish off for third. I do hope he draws better next match.

I was hoping for peg with the horrendous wind off my back and I was initially delighted to draw peg 28. That was until I got there and found that the high gusting wind was being accelerated through the gap between the hills behind me. At least the horizontal rain was into my back.

I was drawn next to the Gimp peg 29 who like me didn’t really want to be here. I needed either a first or second in section. But looking along the section I had a difficult job on. I set up just the one 4x16 Jolly (that’s how enthusiastic I was). I decided to fish it at 10 metre which was a mistake as the presentation was crap. I caught just a couple of Skimmers and Ronnie’s over the GB on this line finally giving up fighting the wind and re-plumbing at 4 metres. Again over the GB with dead red on the hook I still managed to catch a few Ronnie’s and the odd small Skimmer. However, a majority were coming of due to the wind and the need for number two elastic. It wasn’t long before I hooked a 3lb Tench which helped the cause. I decided to stay on this line until the end and did have three decent Skimmers in the last half hour losing two 2 pounders due to the pull-a-bung bead getting stuck up the number four – bugger. Luckily it didn’t change the overall result. My net weighed in at 11lb 12oz for a section second and a third overall – mission accomplished.

Because of the weather conditions a number of anglers retired early including the Gimp.

My partner in the pairs came good with a section win which combined with my 2 points put us second in the pairs and only 3 points off the lead.

The match was won by Dave Wride (pictured right with the Carp pool winner) from peg 30 with 25-02-0.Unfortunately I can’t report any more as Dave refused to explain how he caught his fish – except on the pole in the water.

The biggest fish a 4lb 2oz Tench fell to John Smith from peg 19. John caught it on double pinkie over GB.

Full result:

1. Dave Wride 25-02-0 peg 30
2. John Smith 24-12-0 peg 19
3. Mike Nicholls 11-14-0- peg 28
4. Barney 11-10-0 peg 26
5. Mike Jones 10-12-0 peg 9
6. Chris Rolfe 9-09-0 peg 14


Accidental Carp:

1. Dave Bacon 26-04-0 peg 18
2. Terry Bruton 19-12-0 peg 21


The weigh board follow:




No comments: