Wednesday 9 March 2011

Wednesday 09/03/2011 - Carps AC Plantation Winter League - Round Three

More good news for The Sedges Fishery from Paul Locke who during a recent bagging pleasure session on Tile Lake found himself in the middle of a major restocking. Paul stopped fishing to witness the goings on and was amazed to see a large amount of big Bream up to 8lb being stocked. Returning to his swim and after a quick re-feed with micro pellet had an eight pounder first put in – so they must be dead easy to catch then!!

I had an ultimatum today from Leyton Palmer – “Complain about my driving again and you will be riding in the back of the van blindfolded”. So today ride was very sedate, even though Leyton was one out of the money!! Leyton found somewhere unusual for breakfast – Yatton Railway Station. I must say it was a tad expensive, but very good food. I really enjoyed my coffee, no heart burn today.

The weather forecast was for strong SW winds, which there was no sigh of at the draw. However, I was hoping for a draw on the far bank which would give the wind off the back. In to the draw bucket and out comes another peg with “island chuck” peg 8. Apparently this is a good Carp and Skimmer peg, but was fished the day before! For company today I had Dave Wride on peg 7. I decided on the same set up as the previous venue match and after feeding four balls of Skimmer GB at 11.5 metres the wind picked up and was blowing right in to me and it was gusting. I started on the long Ronnie rig with single caster over loose fed caster and didn’t have a bite. The wind wasn’t helping my feeding it was falling short and going all over the place. So put a small pot of casters in at four metres and tried the Skimmer line. It was soon apparent that my 7x 11 modified PB14 was far too light for the wind strength. However, didn’t bother to change as I was still expecting to bag up on Ronnie’s. I initially didn’t have a bite on 3 mm expander so switched to a single red maggot and had a run of Skimmers to 1 ½ lb but mostly 4 to 6 oz fish. I tried another pellet and hooked a 6lb Carp which gave me a right song and dance, so decided to stay with the red maggot. The swim died so I re-fed with three balls of GB and tried the short Ronnie line. First try I had a 1lb Ronnie’s followed by a 2lb Perch. But that was it on this line the fish wouldn’t come close enough. I tried the long Ronnie rig again and had a run of 2-3oz Ronnie’s. Back out on the Skimmer line and for some strange reason I kept foul hooking decent Skimmers just putting a few scales in the net! I wish I could see what was happening under the water. The fish then settled and another short run ob small Skimmers followed. Towards the end the wind died and for ¾ of an hour I had a 2oz Ronnie every cast plus a bonus 2lb Skimmer. Silvers weighed in at 27lb 6oz for second in the Silvers, adding the 6lb Carp my total weight was 33lb 6oz for 7th overall.

The match was won by Chris Davis (pictured right with some of his catch) with a massive 131lb 8oz from peg 4. Chris caught at 13 metres fishing hard banded 6mm pellet just off bottom. Chris fed 6’s and 8’s through his catapult feeding less than a pint all match.

The Silvers was won by Steve Dawson (pictured bottom right) from peg 33 with 28lb 10oz. Steve caught initially at 9 metres over GB then kinder potted soft pellet. After Steve had netted 10lb of Skimmers he swithched to the maggot at 4 metres down the right and had a good rest of the match catching quality Ronnie’s.

Full Result:

1. Chris Davis 131-08-0 peg 4
2. Darren Vowles 77-0 -0 peg 29
3. Bob Price 46-06-0 peg 18
4. Leyton Palmer 42-13-0 peg 38
5. Steve Kedge 39-06-0 peg 27
6. Dave Wride 38-10-0 peg 7

Top Silvers:

1. Steve Dawson 28-10-0 peg 33
2. Mike Nicholls 27-06-0 peg 8
3. Mike Jones 23-06-0 peg 19

No comments: