Friday 20 January 2023

Thursday 19/01/2023 - Bathampton AA Over 55's - Silvers Pairs - Round 2 - Withy Pool

Due to the current Global warming cold snap checked in with Tony Rixon who was adamant it wasn't frozen, so didn't load the ice breaker. Passed Bridge Pool which had a little ice. Rounded the corner to Withy and found that pictured - Tony (who carries 5 ice breakers of differing sizes) - on the phone giving the God Boreas a bollocking.

Wanted to avoid the high 60's/70's into the draw bag and out comes peg 43 - happy with this one. Luckily Aiden was in my section and had an ice breaker. Rounded the corner at peg 40 and was delighted to see that my peg was ice free!!

Got to the peg and found myself in a hard section sandwich between Tony Ponting and Kev Winstone and Barny next up. Got settled in the peg and noticed the peg was starting to freeze over! Set up the 4x14 Winter Wire to fish top set plus two barrels and the Ronnie rig. Surprised how much colour was in the water. With plenty of time before the whistle had a walk around the pool and by time I got back my peg was nearing iced over up to two barrels that's ok, however, Tony;s peg the only other one ice free was still relative ice free, but would get worse in the last quarter. Decided to keep the ice at bay by tapping with the pole pot every time I fed.

Fed the long line with neat Thatchers and the short line with Pinkie laced with my usual GB. Started on the short line with single Pinkie and before I  had a bite Tony had a 2 lb Skimmer! Only one indication short so went long with double Pinkie and had a micro Perch followed by a 2 oz Ronnie. Topped this line up and came short with double Pinkie and had a couple of 4 oz Ronnie's. The pattern was feed, rest, catch a couple of fish re-feed then swap lines. At mid match I had a purple patch catching skimmer's to 4 oz on the long line and Ronnie's to 8 oz on the short line and a decent Perch. I thought I was going to catch Tony. However, come the last hour a marauding carp arrived and it wasn't until it was foul hooked that it buggered off, in the last 10 minutes added three more decent Ronnie's. Come the end my kit was white with frost land me freezing cold - no sun all day. By the time I got back to the car where it had been sunny all day my kit had thawed out.

Whilst taking my net to the scaled slipped and did good impression of of Wayne Sleep with the splits - didn't help the hernia healing. Weighed 9 lb 3 oz for second in section to Tony who weighed 11 lb 1 oz for second overall (his net of fish pictured) so happy with that, don't think I would have caught him up with the big skimmers doing it for him.

The match was won by Andy Greenham (pictured) with 11 lb 12 oz from peg 59.

Chris Ollis run came to a bitter end on peg 48 the Mink on the spit opposite was in and out of his peg not catching much either.

Overall it fished better with the lid on that the first match!!!

Back to the Compton with the usual suspects where the Smith and Grant double act kept us laughing.

Result on Day:

1. Andy Greenham 11-12-0 peg 59

2. Tony Ponting 11-01-0 peg 42

3. Shay Gillman 10-01-0 peg 58

4. Mike Nicholls 9-03-0 peg 43

5. Dave Wride 8-08-0 peg 55

6. Hughie Evan 7-10-0 peg 64

Weigh Sheets:
















Pairs Result To Date:




No comments: