Monday 21 March 2022

Sunday 20/03/2022 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round 7 - Taylor's Pool and Shipp's Canal

Bright sunny day with a slight nippy Easterly wind and with an overnight frost I thought it would still fish hard, especially Shipp's Canal. My last turn on Taylor's Pool. I didn't mind where I drew but wanted to avoid the two narrow pegs behind the island pegs 24 and 25, but 21 and 22 would be my pegs of choice.

Into the car boot draw and selected the nearest disc and was disappointed to see I had picked peg 25, bugger. I knew I wouldn't get into the top two overall weights so mind set to fish for silvers, you never know I might get one of the 12 big Bream. At least the Easterly was off my back rendering the peg flat calm, which wouldn't help with the skimmers and Ronnie's. Setting up a pair of Canadian Geese decided to invade a pair in my peg, it was bedlam.

For company I had the affable Lee Waller on peg 14, he's the fastest I've seen packing up his kit - amazing.

I fancied the waggler to fish off the end of the island which I set up three times as I kept hitting the overhead tree whilst plumbing it up. I found a way to finally cast it near where I wanted it. All this wasted time which left me struggling to set up in time but managed to set a 4x14 Winter Titan to fish around the peg. Due to the water levels being down 18 inches or so fishing the ledge on the island was a non starter. The ledge is narrow and drops straight off to full depth. The LH margin is similar. Started at top set plus two barrels just to the left over GB and Pinkie feed with single LR on the hook. It took a while to catch my fist fish - a 3 oz Crucian, followed by a few micro Perch and a 4oz skimmer. It went quiet until I hooked and landed a 2 1/2 lb Mirror carp. I had learnt that once a carp of this size has been over the feed the skimmers bugger off and become difficult to tempt back. So started another line with the same feed and hook bait at top set plus three barrels out in front and had a couple more small carp. The line died and tried to resurrect the first line to only catch more micro Perch. Time to try the waggler with single LR over loose fed same. Only two Ronnie's on this plus more micro Perch and a monster of about 4 oz! I was then bombarded by the Geese again and had to give the waggler up. I had to wait a while until they had stopped before getting five barrels out which I planned to fish up to the far ledge which was about 6 inches shallower than elsewhere. Same feed except I switched to double Pinkie on the hook and amazingly had a good run of small Skimmers. The Geese came back for another battle just managing to get the pole back before they hit it. They finally split back to pairs but both sets were making that awful honking noise, one pair to close to my right and the other pair just behind me. The noise went on and on so had to drive off the pair behind me in to Kev's peg - Lol. Peace and quiet for a while. I had another go on the waggler whilst I had a cup of Camomile tea. One of many casts went a bit wild and was heading for the tree on the island so whipped it back and instead going into the Bull rushes, felt a bit of a Moses. Spent the last knocking on the long pole. With both Lee and Glenn having 4 lb Bream I was always on catch up on silvers. Last put in had a 1 lb skimmer which was to make the difference.

My Carp weighed 10 lb 5 oz and my silvers 6 lb 14 oz for a total of 17 lb 3 oz which I must say I would have settled for at the beginning. I also had a default silvers pick up.

John my pairs partner did well winning Shipp's Pool with 17 lb 12 oz which now put us first overall with one match to go.

The match was won by John Clarke (pictured with Shipp's Pool winner John W - one Johnny short of a pack) with 48 lb 1 oz from fancied peg 22. John caught at 16 metres using expander hook bait over potted micro. Well done Matey.

Result:

Ship's Canal:

1. John W 17-12-0 peg 9

2. Ricky Mills 12-15-0 peg 2

Silvers: Bill Ferris 6-12-0 peg 4

Taylor's Pool:

1. John C 48-01-0 peg 22

2. Tony 27-15-0 peg 19

Silvers: John C 9-03-0 peg 22

Weigh Sheets:



No comments: