Monday 7 March 2022

Sunday 06/03/2022 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Six - Shipp's Canal and Taylor's Pool

My turn on Shipp's canal and with a bitter NE wind blowing I was hoping to have it off the back. Had a walk around Shipp's with Bomber and Bill Ferris getting their perspective on each peg, can't beat experience.

Into the car boot and picked the nearest counter finding peg 11. Perfect for self perseveration as the wind would be blowing over the left shoulder. Happy enough with the draw too as it has some open water between the two islands - perfect for the waggler. The water levels are down on both pools and for this reason I think the carp have moved off the shallow areas where they would normally caught.

For company on peg 12 was up and coming drummer Bri Shanks.

Just one rig a 4x13 MR to fish top-set plus two barrels set to dead depth, further than normal so to fish away from the close in stoney bottom. the only other other things to set up was the waggler because of the wind I set up a heavier than needed 8" bodied Drake waggler. The plan was to fish for silvers on the MR over GB, later switching to mag and wag between the islands.

Started by feeding a ball GB with a few Pinkies and with single LR on the hook started to catch some very small Ronnie's and skimmers. The wind was blowing all over the place effecting the presentation having to keep shipping in, left and right to keep on station. After about 90 minutes I foul hooked a decent carp which shed the hook. In went another ball of neat GB keeping a few more silvers coming and one decent F1. I reckon I had 4 lb which would normally be enough to win the Pool silvers so eagerly picked up the waggler. Loose fed 6 maggots finding it difficult to gain any accuracy due to the ever veering wind. I was surprised to start catch small Ronnie's. I kept the feeding light at 6 LR's regularly, accuracy was very poor. I had a period where I was foul hooking carp - one about 8 lb and two smaller ones - all lost. With 90 minutes to go I took off about 12 " off depth and doubled the feed rate which resulted in three decent carp all in the mouth! All through the match I  had a pesky male Mallard take a liking to my float, he continuously kept pecking and lifting my waggler by the end of the match 25 % of the paint had gone - pictured! There were about 6 Mallards on the pool - all males!

My silvers weighed 5 lb 15 oz and my carp 14 lb 4 oz (carp catch pictured right) for a total of 20 lb 3 oz for a double bubble. Very enjoyable days fishing and was very glad I wasn't on the opposite bank, some really cold anglers around.

Both the silvers and top weight on Taylors Pool was taken by Ricky Mills (pictured with the other double bubbler) with 12 lb 3 oz from peg 21. Ricky caught most of his fish down his margin using either maggot or corn hook bait his silver catch consisting of one 3 lb 14 oz Bream.

Got my pairs partner back and after today's result are less than a lb behind the leaders.

Back to the New Inn to find they had no beers - what a dump this pub has become.

Result:

Taylor's Pool:

1. Ricky Mills 12-03-0 peg 21

2. Norman Ferris 8-15-0 peg 14

Silvers: Ricky Mills 3-14-0 peg 21

Shipp's Canal:

1. Mike Nicholls 20-03-0 peg 11

2. Glenn Bailey 7-04-0 peg 4

Silvers: Mike Nicholls 5-15-0 peg 11

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: