Monday 3 January 2022

Sunday 02/01/2022 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Two - Taylors Pool and Shipp's Canal

Weather still mild but expected a gale later, which proved to be short lived.

Draw for the pairs done (pictured right) and I was drawn with John C who missed the first match and because his lake fished so bad we didn't loose much ground. It's hard to say which pair will win it this year - I'm going with Glen and Steve or Mark and Ricky. We'll see.

Had a walk around Shipps canal where I would be sat for 5 hours today and noticed how ochre coloured it was. I deduced this to be some run off from some of the work being carried out above the lake.

I didn't mind where I drew as all the pegs are hard, plus you can never predict where the carp will be. Into the car boot picking white disc 4. Plenty of room as pegs 3 and not in and peg 5 is about 30 metres away where Bri Shanks had drawn.

The wind was partially off my back and perfect for the waggler even though it's was only 14 metres wide. So set up with a 7" straight and had a plumbing setting cast around and didn't realise how far some of the stick-ups were out from the bank and lost the float breaking on the locking shot. So put the rod in the roost less a float and set up a 4x13 MR which was suitable for all around the peg as it was relatively flat. I also set up the Ronnie rig but after a few trials thought the wind would lead to poor presentation, so that was roosted for the entire match.

So three lines targeted - 1. Top set plus one barrel directly out in front 2. Top set plus two barrels at 11 o clock 3. Top set plus three barrels at 10 o clock.

What transpired was all about ounces, my poor weighing in and some bad luck. 

Started at two barrels with double Pinkie over GB laced with LP's and had a 8 oz carp followed by a few Crucian's, a skimmers and a few small Ronnie's before it died. In the meantime Bri Shanks had landed a 10 lb fouled carp, duh. So came on the one barrel fishing single LR over loose fed LR's and had a few more small Ronnie's, a couple of small F1's and a couple of Crucians - always tell them by their bites, or lack of them. I then hooked a 4 lb carp which is a high value prize on this lake so was carefully played to the net, buggering the short line in the process. Next line to bugger up was the three barrel one which I fed with GB with LP's and with single LR and a fluoro Pinkie hook tipper had some more F1's and Ronnie's. The line died so went on the rounds and couldn't get a bite on any lines. It looked like everyone was now struggling. With an hour to go I set up a waggler to be fished about 3 foot off the far bank and with double LR's on the hook over catapulted LR's and on second cast hooked a decent carp which again I played carefully for a few minutes before the hook pulled. I was convinced it wasn't fouled. Two casts later I hook another decent carp which again was played carefully and finally landed, the hook was in its chin so close enough. Three casts later I hook another decent carp which snagged me in the far bank losing the 808 - 20 hook and fish - bugger. Next cast I had a F1 which herald the end of a decent spell and just before the "all out" I hooked the snag which I manged to land and discard.

I really enjoyed the day and learnt some more about this lake. I weighed my silvers first which went 2 lb 1 oz just 1 oz behind the top lake silvers and my carp 18 lb 1 oz for a total of 20 lb 2 oz just 12 oz away from the lake winner and 7oz from second!! However, Mark Taylor came by and pointed out a 1 oz Ronnie in my net and instead of pleading with the scalesman to add the ounce for some unknown reason I put it back!! I wasn't that concerned as matey Glenn Bailey won our lake silvers, but would have been nice to share it!! 

The match was won by Martin McMahon (pictured with the silvers winner) with 27 lb 8 oz from peg 17 on Taylor's. Martin caught at 14 metres using 6 mm banded hard pellet over loose fed hard 6's.

Steve Rogers won the silvers from the same lake with a lowly 4 lb 1 oz from peg 25. Steve caught at 14 metres using Pinkie hook bait over loose fed Pinkie - he must have one hell of a catapult to feed Pinkie this distance in any shape or form of grouping!!

Back to the pub which was empty except for the usual suspects. I was mortified they only had bottled beers!! Oh, well better than none. As usual we had a right laugh.

Result:

Taylors Pool:

1. Martin McMahon 27-08-0 peg 17

2. Norman Ferris 8-0-0 peg 22

3. Steve Rogers 7-01-0 peg 26

Silvers: Steve 4-01-0 peg 26

Shipps Canal:

1. Brian Shanks 20-14-0 peg 5

2. John C 20-09-0 peg 9

3. Mike Nicholls 20-02-0 peg 4

Silvers: Glenn Bailey 2-02-0 peg 12

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: