Monday 18 October 2021

Sunday 17/10/2021 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

Had the usual walk around to find three groups of anglers already fishing. I explained there was a match and displayed on the notice board. Not a pleasant thing to have to do. Most of them took it well. In their defence the notice isn't that clear and needs to be larger and less messy. I saw one of the group on the way out and they said they had a cracking day on the Specimen Lake - good to hear.

Told 17 fishing today, however, Kev Winstone thought there were more and counted 18 twice until he relised he had counted Gerry Walsh twice, I wonder why?😀

Into the draw tub and out comes milk bottle top with what I thought had a French 7 on it, so in my mind I was already setting up the waggler to be fished throughout. However, I was told to turn the top around to find it was peg 4 - no waggler then. This peg loves me, no sure I feelings mutual. For company on peg 3 was Justin Attwood from Cheltenham. He said it takes him longer to negotiate Rocky Road than the rest of his drive - understandable.

I was on peg 5 Thursday (empty today) and won the silvers so naturally set up exactly the same with the same goal in mind. Fed both lines with GB laced with DR's. Started on the Long rig and after a long wait had a "Baller". Couldn't get another bite tried the short rig, again not a sniff. It looked and sounded like everyone was struggling. So I set up a 4x14 Winter Titan and got two barrels out to fish full depth over three lines with single LR tipped with a Pinkie over GB laced with LP's. It was a day where you couldn't go straight over the feed, so worked the three lines accordingly and started to catch small Skimmers plus a couple 1 1/2 lb. As the day went on the harder it got with the last hour being completely dead except for two accidental Carp. However, the weather was kind to us with light winds and some sunshine, plus I saw one of my favourite bankside mammals a Water Vole, rounder face and shorter tail than a Rat.

My two accidental carp weighed 8 lb 2 oz and my silvers 10 lb 12 oz for the silvers win. Need to get the light elastics out for the next match.

The match was won by Leighton Palmer (pictured right with the silvers winner) with 99 lb 3 oz from gap peg 17. Leighton caught slapping 30 inches deep at 14 metres using on 8 mm banded pellet. He fed about one pint including his margin where he also caught a few. Well done matey.

Back to the "Ringer" where they had a band outside playing Irish folk. We sat inside as it was empty so we could talk rubbish.

Result:

1. Leighton Palmer 99-03-0 peg 17

2. Dave Willmott 56-06-0 peg 23

3. Gerry Walsh 50-01-0 peg 8

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 10-12-0 peg 4

2. Dave Poole 6-04-0 peg 20

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: