Monday 4 October 2021

Sunday 03/10/2021 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

It was good news that Windmill Fishery open matches are starting again, especially as the winter is on its way and its only 10 minutes from home. Its not much fun travelling an hour each way to matches in the dark. These matches are being run by Gerry Walsh and his wife Mandy (pictured). To book in text Gerry on 07766103846.

With other matches on we only had nine but expect this to increase. I must say the carp, especially the Commons are in excellent condition, very pretty averaging 5 lb. Dave Haines said they were a Scottish strain. 

We were honoured by the appearance of the effervescent Leighton Palmer.

I expected some heavy rain and the wind to pick up so would be happy with the same peg as Thursday - peg 25 and that's what I pulled! As it happened I was glad I did as we had some horrendous down pours, and was sheltered from the driving wind. So taking the learning from Thursday I planned to fish for Silvers so set up the same 4x14 Winter Titan to fish top set plus one, the long Ronnie rig and a RJ for maggot in the margin.

I fed the long line with GB laced with Pinkie and is where I started with double LR's on the hook and started to catch small Perch and Ronnie's, but no Skimmers which I had caught last match, so things' were different. So tried the long Ronnie rig and caught some more Ronnie's - no foul hooked carp or Skimmers. So I set up the short Ronnie rig and set about catching the small fish in the margin. This worked well but had difficult periods - all to do with the feeding I think. I kept trying the long line this time with kindered maggot and micro and started to get liners from carp. I was soon playing one a nice 5 lb Common. Thought I would try the RH margin with maggot over maggot and caught four quick carp. Being well behind Willy Willmott. I gave that up in search of more Silvers. The short line had slowed so again went long in the hope of more silvers, only to find more carp, but at least I wasn't fouling them this time. I did muster a couple of skimmers 4 to 6 oz.

My silvers weighed 12 lb 8 oz - 8 oz more than Thursday! and my nine carp 47 lb 2 oz. for a total of 59 lb 10 oz - 1 oz more than Thursday!!! Second silvers. I was going to say 4th overall but have to say half way.

The match was won by Willy Willmott (pictured with the silvers winner) with 109 lb from peg 22. Willy caught on meat down the RH side in 4 foot of water which is well up the shelf.

The silvers was won by Gerry Walsh with 14 lb 13 oz from peg 9. Gerry admitted that the decent skimmers were accidentally caught on meat whilst trying to catch carp. Well done matey.

Considering the conditions it fished well for carp with most getting over 50 lb. Think I might try meat for the silvers next match, or not.

Back to the "Ringer" for an excellent pint of Butcombe's. Now to sort the wet tackle.

Result:

1. Dave Willmott 109-0-0 peg 22

2. Kev Winstone 95-02-0 peg 20

Silvers:

1. Gerry Walsh 14-13-0 peg 9

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: