Monday 12 October 2020

Sunday 11/10/2020 - Matt Culpin's Canal League - Round 3 - Shiplate Farm - Hawthornes - Squircle - Westpool

Travelled with Junior today who was stand in for Two Pots. He arrived early as he thought he would try being a parking attendant. He organised one van and gave it up for a walk around the fishery with me. Plenty of water in them since the rains. However, like a lot of venues it has seriously affected the fishing. The fishery has now been sold and the new owner was in the Game Keepers Lodge and was introduced as Adam, no sign's of Eve but hopefully a new beginning for the fishery.

Got in early with the pools payment and was third to be called his peg which was Westpool peg 5. The peg is the last in the narrows and felt I needed to be nearer to the middle of the Canal. Peg 4 was empty as its very close to  both pegs 5 and 3 which was occupied by Mark Broomsgrove, the other side was my name sake Paul Nicholls (must be related somewhere along the lineage) who was first in the wide's so was sat 3 metres or so behind me.

Usually on the canal there are plenty of signs of feeding fish, but not today which was worrying. I set up two margin rigs one paste and the other for maggot. My main line would be top-set plus one barrel with a 4 x12 which is where I started with 4 mm expander over micro and had a blow straight away which soon faded and my worries were confirmed when after 15 minutes hadn't had a bite or an indication - it was fishing harder than I thought possible. So with the Carp not feeding I was hoping the Silvers might be free to have a go so switch the line to maggot and GB. I did have a few tiny Ronnie's and Skimmer's but it was slow, but on this canal they can switch on in the second half, so stayed with it. I kept feeding both margins with the appropriate feed in hope some would arrive at some point. I started to get bored waiting for a bite from a tiny Silvers so started to set up all sorts including 11 metres to fish the far bank which only lasted a few minutes as I was getting indications from from very small Silvers. I decided to stay with the Silver line and with an hour to go I hooked and landed a 12 lb Carp. I was hoping this was the start of Carp o clock. so fed the margins a bit heavier and upped the maggot feed on the Silver line, which might have been a mistake as by the end of the match I had hooked six foulers loosing the lot. I did had a swirl in the margin but by time I loaded a rig it was gone, so amazing I caught nothing from the margins where I expected the fish to come and feed in the warmer water. Paul next door did well and was winner our Canal with 63 lb. Paul (pictured upper right) fished a tidy match catching over with pellet then down the track with meat but only managed one form his margin. He also had more than his share of foulers.

My few Silvers weighed 5 lb 4 oz and my one Carp 11 lb 15 oz for a total of 17 lb 3 oz, which unbelievably got me middle section, which shows how bad the canal fished. On hindsight I think I should have set up the waggler (about the only thing I didn't set up) as I think it might have given the presentation the Carp need, but won't know now!

The match was won by Mike Ducket (pictured right a sleep - haven't got a picture of him with his eyes open yet, with the Silvers winner) with 167 lb 12 oz from Hawthorne peg 3. Mike caught on meat over micro from his margin.

The Silvers for the third time was won by Jess Jordan with 16 lb 14 oz from Hawthorne peg 13. Jess caught on maggot over GB laced with finely chopped worm.

Well done to both.

Result:

1. Mike Ducket 167-12-0 peg 3 Haw

2. Tony Rixon 133-12-0 peg 7 Haw

3. Dave Romain 11-12-0 peg 9 Haw

Silvers:

1. Jess Jordan 16-14-0 peg 13 Haw

2. Dave Ings 12-04-0 peg 8 Squirc

Weigh Sheets:







































No comments: