Wednesday 14 October 2020

Thursday 15/10/2020 - Silverfox Local - Westerleigh - Shipp's Canal and Taylor's Lake

Second match of my fortnightly local matches. This week seen us at Westerleigh which is a short drive for most. A good turn out and probably had one too many at 17 anglers with plenty of more interest. Because the two lakes have totally different stocking I split the match into two - paying top two and one silver on each Lake, so money spread around. I got Bob Price aka "Bob the Bread", "Medium sliced Price" and recently due to winning at Bitterwell with one fish - "One Bite Bob" to call the draw.

Left to last and Bob called me peg 16. For company I had "Three spikes" - Kev Winstone on peg 15. The weather was perfect for a walk in the country, but not conducive to fishing - bright sunshine and a light breeze. Due to these conditions it was going to fish hard.  Therefore the peg was crying out waggler and maggot to me. So this was assembled. As back up if the fishing got manic I set up a 4 metre whip which sat on the reserve bence, finally the Ronnie rig.

I started by feeding maggots to the middle and fed a small ball of GB on the Ronnie rig line. Started on the Ronnie rig with a single LR and didn't have any indications so after 15 minutes picked up the waggler again with single LR and first cast hooked a 1 lb Carp which came off near  the bank - that's ok plenty more - not. I struggled to hit bites which I think were small Carp as I had a couple without any indication on the float. However, I was catching the odd Ronnie and small Skimmers. I kept hooking something on the bottom so had a spell at half depth and again had a 1 lb Carp first cast and a few more especially once the sun went behind the clouds. Again missing a lot of bites. I was now realising the my choice of waggler was wrong and as fate would have it and even though I was fishing shallow hooked a snag and lost yet another waggler, so set up a 4 x 14 to fish top-set plus four barrels with one barrel behind to speed unshipping (me pictured right - like a coiled spring). I started by Kindering a pinch of GB with LR's and started to catch Carp to 1 lb and started to catch up Kev and Bill who were well ahead at this point but left it far too late and couldn't catch either of them - so got it wrong today.

My Carp weighed 15 lb 12 oz and my Silvers 3 lb 11 oz for third on the Lake weight of 19 lb 7 oz and a Silvers pickup by double default! I must say I did enjoy it today and can't wait to go back and get it right first time.

The match was won by Ryan Jordan (pictured above) with 56 lb 10 oz from peg 3, just piping John Clark on the next peg by 2 oz! Ryan caught over to the island with pellet.

The Silvers overall was won by Bill Ferris with 9 lb 6 oz from peg 18. Bill caught on maggot over loose fed hard 4's!

Dave Haines had a lovely net of Small Crucian's from Shipp's peg 6 weighing 15 lb - pictured right.

Back to the Old Inn with the usual suspects - tap on the window barman comes out takes the order and deliveries to the garden - nice not standing at the bar.

Finally; Thanks to Mark Taylor for loaning us his Lakes for the day.

Result:

Shipp's:
1. Ryan Jordan 56-10-0 peg 3
2. John Clark 56-08-0 peg 1
3. Pete Greenslade 39-10-0 peg 11
Silvers: Dave Haines 6-09-0 peg 6

Taylor's:
1. Kev Winstone 29-10-0 peg 15
2. Bill Ferris 24-02-0 peg 18
3. Mike Nicholls 19-07-0 peg 16
Silvers: Bill Ferris 9-06-0 peg 18

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: