Monday 9 March 2020

Sunday 08/03/2020 - Westerleigh Individual Winter League - Taylors Lake and Shipp's Canal

They say there is a first time for everything - well after travelling with Bela for 14 years today was the first time he was late, albeit only 10 minutes. It didn't matter as we arrived at Wetherspoons in plenty of time for a leisurely breakfast. How do they prepare the food so quick?

The Special One doesn't do panic buying, so just now off to do our weekly shop, I wonder what awaits us?

Standing in today for Mark Taylor who was off to Stafford moor for the Silvers festival week. Which meant I would be on Shipp's Canal. The draw is done at Wetherspoons and last into the ice cream container and out comes peg 11. Told it's a good peg for Carp fished long over to the island dobbing bread. Well that wasn't going to happen especially when I arrived at the peg to find I was in a gap between two islands with the wind blasting straight through into my face - when is the bloody wind going to do one? Luckily I had put plenty of vaseline on my face to reduce wind burn. The only other angler I could see was Simon Belcham opposite on peg 3 who had the wind off his back.

The small Carp on this Canal are very shy bitters, so decided to fish top-set plus one just down the inside shelf in 6 foot of water suing a 4 x12 with logarithmic shotting pattern. I also set up a 4x12 to fish down the left hand side at top-set plus two, which had a nice slow sloping margin down to full depth, so set the float at 3 foot - hoping that the fish would be in the shallower water. I put up my full 13 metres and was able to use the 4x12 rig on both ends the the island which would only happen if the wind significantly subsided.

I started by feeding the two close lines with a knub of GB laced with Pinkie hoping for some early Silvers. Started out in front with double Pinkie on the hook and realised straight away that the wind was going to hide the bites because by the time I relised it was an indication the event was over. so lots of missed opportunities. I gradually got to recognise some indication and soon had a 1 lb F1 in the net. More missed opportunities but was putting the odd small Crucians and small unidentifiable Carp in the net - but no silvers. After a few top ups the swim died so tried the margin and started to catch micro Pech and small Ronnies. After topping up this line it died. So I decided to start loose feeding LR's on both short lines, which seemed to switch the fish on catching a couple of better Ronnies and Perch from both lines with single LR on the hook. The wind dropped so thought I would have a look over with 13 metre with single LR over loose fed LR. I had a few more Ronnies and Perch but due to having to ship back up hill I was losing more than I landed - very frustrating. I did hook a Carp that looked about 10 lb which came off just after the "pulled" elastic slipped from my hand. I lost another three smaller identifiables again I think to due to the poor unshipping I was doing - would have been better to double unship but I hate that. Simon had an accidental big Tench which put me just behind him, but as he had been catching some better Carp was hoping I could still default the lake Silvers.

My net of unidentifiable Carp weighed 7 lb 6 oz and my Silvers 2 lb 1 oz just 1 oz behind Simon. However, he did come second on the lake so I picked up by default. If it wasn't for the wind it would have been an enjoyable days fishing. I do like these low weight matches.

The wind had gradually strengthen towards the end which contributed to Simon breaking his pole and blowing in his stink bag. Picture upper right shows Simon's cunning way of retrieving it.

The Lake and match was won again by Darren North (pictured upper right) with his catch of decent Carp from peg 7 - Again! Darren dobbed bread just off the opposite island which is about 11.5  metres away. Well done matey.

Taylor's Lake fished poorly with all the small Carp having migrated to peg 23 occupied by Marcus who had the second highest weight of 23 lb 8 oz all caught on 4mm expander pellet.

Back to the pub where the winners become losers and the losers become winners -  that said I think in this league we are all winners and well run by Bri Shanks - a great way to finish the day even though we have to put up with Bela's phone videos. Subsequently it was back to bar-gar-age for our after drinks Silvers winners selfie.

Result:

Taylors Lake:
1. Marcus 23-08-0 peg 23
2. John W 6-11-0 peg 14
Silvers: Bela Bakos 1-08-0 peg 16

Shipp's Canal:
1. Darren North 24-09-0 peg 7
2. Simon Belcham 20-01-0 peg 3
Silvers: Mike Nicholls 2-01-0 peg 11

Weigh Sheet:







2 comments:

David Wescott said...

Logarithmic shotting pattern?

Silverfox Match Angling said...

I will post a picture on my next blog, hopefully this Sunday.