Wednesday 18 March 2020

17/03/2020 - Acorn Costcutter - Paddocks

I had an invite to Acorn from Junior who is really getting back into his fishing and wanting to spread his wings. As is Kev Winston. So with Two Pots already up for it The Three Amigos set off to Acorn in Juniors enormous work bus.

Not been to Acorn since last September so out of touch. Looking at past results the Silver fishing had improved immensely so that would be my focus. 

A good turnout considering all that's happening at the moment with 20 fishing (don't think fishing can be considered fishing from home - can it?).

Eddie Wynne and Mike Chapman run these matches who were completely prepared to minimise the risk to anglers of transferring the Coronavirus. They were locked in the hut and took money with gloved hands through a window opening. They also did the draw in booking in order - so no real contact except the elbow and kicking greetings of Anglers - all well done. However, this meant I couldn't draw my usual flyer, but Eddie did it for me announcing I was on peg 9 to many groans. Further groans followed when Junior was on peg 5 and Two Pots on 3.

Gathered some info on the peg and it seemed it was more Carp than Silvers - bugger. However, I still wanted to try out some things I have been experimenting with feeding for Silvers. The peg is the narrowest on the venue reaching the far bank with 10 metres with ease. I set up just the two rigs - a 4x12 set to 3 foot to fish either the far bank or the left hand margin. The right would have been my preferred choice but for the wind blowing in at me at 2 o'clock. A 4x14 to fish down the track at top-set plus three barrels, this rig was also suitable for top-set plus two barrels.

So after lots of self debating I decided to leave the far bank but keep catapulting some LR's going in on this line. I fed some GB and Pinkie at the short line and on my banker wetted micro compressed into a ball to help prevent the Carp intercepting it. So Started on the 4 mm expander on a 18 - 808 and was quickly getting indications from what appeared to be micro fish, but soon had a 1 lb Skimmer followed by another. So happy with the start - meanwhile Junior was emptying it on peg 5 with some right lumps. I had an enjoyable few hours on this line picking off the odd hand size Skimmer and small Tench however, the wind was a slight nuisance either pulling the rig off line - both in and out. I did have the occasional accidental Carp. To give the line a rest I came in over the GB line with a single LR to only catch micro Ronnies. GB didn't seem to be the meal of the day. So had a look over with double DR expecting to catch Carp but was immediately pestered by tiny Ronnies with most falling off. So back down the track and carried on adding some Silvers and the odd accidental Carp. With an hour to go I had two consecutive Carp and could see more activity over the feed. So decision time Carp or stay with Silvers? Two Pots had started to catch on paste and Junior was well ahead in the match and thought I was up there in the Silvers so stayed with them by switching to the margin with single LR over minimal feed of the same - glad I did as I had two lovely Ronnies. Had I switched to Carp I would have fished the same line but used corn hook bait.

My Silvers weighed 17 lb 2 oz for second Silvers pick up and my six Carp weighed 29 lb 11 oz for a sixth overall 46 lb 13 oz. I think I could have easily picked up with the Carp had I went the other way, but more enjoyable this way.

The match was won by Junior (pictured upper right with his catch - photographed from a safe distance) with 74 lb 10 oz from peg 5. Junior caught on corn fished over wetted 4's long over to the island in two foot of water.

The Silvers was won by Eddie Wynne (pictured right - now a confirmed member of the "Black Hand Gang") with 19 lb 8 oz from peg 17. Eddie caught on GB and maggot.

Two Pots was pissed off by Dave Wride who was next to him and FOE leaving the weigh board behind him without a bye or leave and face upwards for it to get wet in the rain.

But was soon his chirpy self after the weighing in his late run of big Carp on PASTE got him second overall. So a van Triple Bubble - a first for me. So this meant a stop off in the pub on the way home - don't tell Boris. Another memorable day for me and a well done to Eddie and Mike for being so thoughtful on how they ran the match.

My thinking is that week day match attendances are going to increase as it did during the three day working week!

Result: (pictured at the top - Top three overall and scribe)

1. Gary Bowden 74-10-0 peg 5
2. Glenn Bailey 57-07-0 peg 3
3. Ant P (no one can say or spell his surname) 55-10-0 peg 7
4. Martin Lenahan 53-11-0 peg 13
5. Craig Challingsworth 52-06-0 peg 22
6. Mike Nicholls 46-13-0 peg 9

Silvers:

1. Eddie Wynne 18-08-0 peg 17
2. Mike Nicholls 17-02-0 peg 9
3. Mike Chapman 16-08-0 peg 31

Weigh Sheets:

















1 comment:

Antony Piekielniak said...

Great write up.
By the way, I struggle to say and spell my surname 😂