Friday 16 August 2019

Thursday 15/08/2019 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Short Walks - Bridge Pool

After yesterday's downpour it was welcome to have a dry day forecast, but unfortunately it would be windy. This venue doesn't respond too well to high winds especially the Silvers. I had a walk around the Lake with Tony Rixon, we discussed most of the pegs which was all positive as long as an island was involved closer than 17.5 metres! Due to the Westley wind I fancied peg 24.

Twenty one fishing today. Last but one in the draw bag and was happy with peg 21 looking back at me. The peg would have some shelter from the wind but would be in the shade all day so would be chilly. I could only see three others - Pete Greenslade P18, Ken Morgan P19 and Paul Haines P24 and hear one other!

The peg has an island 13 metres away so just reachable for me, but with the wind factor didn't fancy it so assembled the Ronnie rig to fish into the wind at 11 o'clock for the Silvers a 0.5 gram paste float to fish top-set plus two and a 0.3 gram MH paste float for the both margins.

I fed all the three paste lines with wetted micro as a kick starter. I hear some anglers bemoan micro as " the fish become preoccupied with micro" well isn't that what you want, fish in the swim being occupied. I only do the one initial feed with micro which can remain in the peg for hours even though being fed on. I then fed a ball of GB laced with DR's and with a single DR on the Ronnie rig started to catch some small Skimmers, Perch and Ronnie's. It was going OK keeping me interested and active. It then went quiet and just as I had a visit from Jim Norris the float buried and found myself attached to a 5 lb Common which luckily got landed. Reason for the swim going quiet my thinking. Jim moved on so did I, switching to the deep paste rig, there was some signs of fish but thought they were F1's and it was. I had two which ended any fizz. Another look on the Ronnie rig which I had been re feeding and had another Carp, smaller this time. So with the wind abating I got the full set of tubes out and using the margin paste rig went over to the island. The steepness of the margin wasn't really suitable for paste but had a quick two F1's then started to miss bites. I was soon tired of shipping 13 metres in and out so packed it all away except one section. I spent the rest of the match fishing in both margins loose feeding hard 4's by hand - wind permitting. The RH side was a bit risky as I was fishing in the reeds where I lost my first Carp which judging by its acceleration was most likely an F1. It wasn't long before I was catching decent Carp from both sides. The ratio being about 50/50 with the LH side being best early (and safest) and the RH side best later I did lose one rig in the reeds due to being a bit slow in getting the top-set under the water.

My Silvers weighed 6 lb 11 oz and my Carp 91 lb 14 oz for a match winning total of 98 lb 9 oz.

The Silvers was won by Pau Barnfield (pictured right with the match winner) with 17 lb 14 oz from peg 26. Paul caught on the feeder and the pole using worm hookbait over micro and worm feed.

For a few matches now there Has been a good few DNW's especially along the road bank pegs 11 to 3. This is a bit worrying as they have been really good pegs for the Skimmers. Hopefully things will improve in the winter. The club may want to consider restocking Silvers.

Back to the pub with the usual suspects one of the best parts of the day.

Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 98-09-0 peg 21
2. John "Bridesmaid" Smith 53-0-0 peg 28 (3 times in a row)
3. Steve Dawson 37-03-0 peg 16

Silvers:

1. Paul Barnfield  17-14-0 peg 26
2. Dave Haines 12-15-0 peg 7
3. Chris Ollis 11-08-0 peg 27

Weigh Sheets:
















No comments: