Monday 5 August 2019

Sunday 04/08/2019 - Tony Rixon's Short Pole - Third Round - Chilton Trinity - Woodlands

Travelled with Glenn Bailey today so second day of porridge and beans. Steady drive down the motorway and arrived in plenty of time for a walk around the Lake. I know the owner have had problems with the banks on this lake and have done a lot of work to the far bank pegs removing all the platforms and shoring up the bank. We now have to fish from the bank which is OK but, the large piece of wood installed in front of the angler is far too far back from the bank side hindering the set up the seat box and placing keep nets. It would be far better if this is removed. My choice of pegs would be 2.

Last but one into the draw bag and out comes peg 32, as close to peg 2 as you can get - in fact too close I thought, but still expected a good day. For company I had the silent assassin Gordon Cannings on peg 31. I was also being watched cautiously by a huge Heron - pictured upper right.

I had planned to fish for Silvers today and had the baits to do so, however, being a near corner peg I had to settle for fishing for Carp, so set up a full depth paste rig at full permitted length of top set plus three tubes. The only other rig again was for paste around the margins. The margins were very deep with three/four foot with the float touching the bank, again the sides are steep so hard to hold the paste. Due to trees on the bank I couldn't get round to the next platform - peg1. I had four margin lines planned. However, after feeding all the lines I started on the full depth long line where I soon had a mass fizz (as you do on this venue) but my patients got the better of me again and made the mistake of giving up this line far too soon. After 10 minutes I was playing a 7 lb carp from my top set margin line. I had three here before I went round all the other margin lines picking off the odd carp. Everyone I could see was also catching, but from bank side banter the bottom end was fishing very hard. After a 2lb Perch took a liking to my paste I sensed things were changing as carp started to come into the margin and bow wave out followed by some foul hooking. I did have a big Common which loafed about before darting out, I did retrieve it but the hook pulled luckily the float hit the top set saving me some pain I think. More foul hookers before the peg completely died. The wind had completely turned round and was now blowing down the lake. Gordon who struggled early mid match caught a few. I then heard that the other end of the lake where anglers were blanking to mid match had started to catch well, whilst us at our end corner struggled for the last 2 hours, not adding a fish during this time.

It was between me and Gordon for the section and once again I came up one lost carp short weighing 49 lb 15 oz to Gordon's 54 lb 11 oz. Well done to him.

The match was won by inform paste angler Glenn Bailey (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 122 lb 15 oz from peg 23. Glen caught all his fish at full length over two lines switching to the fizzing lines as necessary. Glenn is cleaning up at the moment on paste.

The Silvers was won by Ryan Shipp with 37 lb 12 oz from peg 9. Ryan also came second overall. Ryan caught at full length using whole worm over GB laced with caster/hemp/chopped worm and some 4 mm pellet. Another angler that's catching well at the moment especially Silvers

Result:





Weigh Sheet:




No comments: