Friday 6 October 2017

Thursday 06/10/2017 - Shiplate Farm Fishery - Cost Cutter - Main Lake

Back to Shiplate Farm Fishery and as always a warm welcome from fishery owners Steve and Carol. Usual suspects already there supping tea putting the world to rights.

Son Steve took my Twin Granddaughters here last Saturday and fished Squircle Pond for their first fishing outing I just wished I could have been there - enough then for a match. This pond is perfect for Kids. It was a good start for both of them catching a range of small Carp and Skimmers on soft pellet.


This is an amazing Silver fish venue and if I fished regularly for Carp I would be saying something similar about Pigs. It was good to see Tom Thick there today; we can’t afford to lose these young anglers from our sport.

After some tactical chit- chat with like minded Ray Wickham it was into the plastic draw carton and out comes peg 11 which I was told is a good Carp peg. Umm. I knew there was company on one side which was my old GB supplier Keith Fisher, but you can only see anglers opposite so no conversing.

I knew the lake would be towing hard into the wind which was initially quite strong. So abandon my usual Skimmer rig which is designed to pick up tow and made up one that would slow the tow, which was a 4x14 to fish at top-set plus two in 5 foot of water, which I was hoping wouldn’t get used. The favoured Ronnie was set up and a 4x10 to fish the LH margin on the top-set.

Started on the Ronnie rig with single caster over loose feed and after three Ronnie’s snagged up losing a hook. This was repeated two more times before I decided to switch lines preferring to fish down the left side in shallower water. This worked better plus the tow was a lot less in fact I could get it to run a bit the other way. I caught well in spurts including a Tench, a decent Hybrid and a Perch. The spurts I discovered were due to Carp disruptions some were coming up for the caster. At half way I had struggled to 10lb but could tell from the pegs opposite it was fish very hard. So went for the Banana walk and found my side was fishing just as hard. Back in the saddle and decided that the humongous amount of caster I had wasn’t getting a ride home so put four big pots on the Skimmer line (might now be a Carp line). Left it for a while catching a few more Ronnie’s in close, until I spotted a blow over the caster so went our with the 4x14 and was soon playing a Carp which bored me to death trying to get it out and judging by its tail it was huge, we finally ended our relationship and parted company. Two more lost Carp followed then I landed a small 6lb version. Then the Skimmers rolled up leaving me with a great last hour adding 20lb of big Skimmers all on double caster. I kept on thinking I needed to feed again but refrained as I like Carp but prefer Skimmers.

My Silvers weighed 30lb 5oz – 4oz less than last match for first in the silvers the one Carp weighed 6lb14oz. A very enjoyable days fishing.

The match was won by Tom thick (pictured right with the Silvers winner) on fancied peg 15 with 75lb. Tom initially caught a couple of Carp down his margin fishing double worm over GB, Tom then switched to paste over the GB and caught well for the remainder of the match, however, he did tell me he had quite a lot of lost foul hookers. Tom’s GB range is worth a try. Well done matey. Oh yes the scarf - Man flu!

Full Result:

  1. Tom Thick 75-10-0 peg 15
  2. Tom Light 71-02-0 peg 1
  3. Mike Owens 68-14-0 peg 14
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 30-05-0 peg 11
  2. Dave Wride 22-0-0 peg 8
  3. Ray Wickham 18-04-0 peg 9A
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: