Monday 2 October 2017

Saturday 30/09/2017 - Viaduct All Winners Final - Campbell, Carey, Lodge and Match Lakes

Two days coming up at Viaduct, today was the All Winners final and tomorrow the one I was really looking forward to, the start of the Viaduct Silvers League. I travelled with Two Pots and his balls of paste. We met up with Tim Ford at Canards Well for a mediocre breakfast. Two Pots had Man Flu and was coughing and sneezing for most of the journey.

Into the draw tin and out comes peg 74 thought it might be OK as I like fishing for the bigger Carp in margins that have plenty of escape routes! What I didn’t realise that Steve Long had started deforestation of the Willows around pegs 109 and 74 with whole trees still in the water – work in progress. The picture right is looking from peg 109 (somewhere under the branches) to my peg 74. Arriving at my peg there was no way of sensibly fishing down the RH margin and expecting to get any decent size Carp in the net – Scaffold pole and wire sprang to mind. So it was a margin rig for the LH side then a paste rig to fish again to the left at 11 o clock towards the tree at 10 metres and a meat/corn rig towards the end of the Willow tree again at 10 metres.

Fed all lines and first drop in with the paste I had a small 5lb Common. Here we go I’m thinking. That was it for an hour until I foul hooked a munter which broke me. The paste appeared not to be working and could see Two Pots on peg 130 behind me who at half way had two Carp, so I kept an eye on him in case he threw the towel in, especially with him unwell. Bob Gullick also behind me on peg 111 had only one Carp. Cripes, so switched to the corn by the end of the tree which was tentatively knocked about by small Silvers. Striking at one of these nibbles in desperation I struck into the wrong end of a Carp which ended up the other side of the tree luckily I got the rig back less the 0.16 hook length. The upshot was I started another swim straight out in front with meat and foul hooked another five Carp. I decided to have a practice for the Silvers league but couldn’t catch many of them either; meat was having the most interest but didn’t have any Caster with me to try properly. Had my second Carp with 30 minutes to go after which I threw in the towel.

Only three of us weighed in the section with me being third with 17lb 12oz!!! I can’t see this peg fishing well for sometime until the work has settled down. The work well over due I think.

Two Pots threw his catch back as he was “Over Powered” on the next peg 129. Tim Ford on peg 117 won his section with 100lb and only two of them weighed in.

The match was won by Andy “I don’t like this peg” Power (pictured right with some of his catch) with 206lb 13oz. Andy caught on various lines with the end of the Spit being the most productive. Andy fished meat hook bait over potted Hemp and a few cubes of meat feed. Later Andy ran out of Hemp and a period of serious foul hooking pursued and some scrambling for replacement pole sections. Well done matey.

The top six pictured below.


 It was back to Winston’s Fish Restaurant for a Fish and Chip supper. Two Pots looked shattered, but at least his nose had stopped running.

Full Result:

  1. Andy Power 206-13-0 peg 129
  2. Phil Harding 153-05-01 peg 77
  3. Jack Billet 148-03-0 peg 110
  4. Gary O’Shea 147-10-0 peg 94
  5. Dan White 131-04-0 peg 47
  6. Dab Squires 120-12-0 peg 49
Weigh Sheets:























































No comments: