Sunday 14 May 2017

Sunday 14/05/2017 - Tony Rixon Short Pole Series - Chilton Trinity - Woodlands

I was looking forward to the start of this league especially travelling with my regular partner Bela and how I have missed the drone of the ladder on the roof rack. First stop Shipham café Small breakfast for me which was ok, not sure the big breakfast was all it should have been.

We arrived early and were immediately offered a hot drink by Misha and husband Tom. I had a partial walk around the fishery, however, there was little sign of feeding fish, however, the fishery looked immaculate. Plenty of work carried out by the family.

It was a pleasant surprise to meet up again after good few years with matey Dave Lewis (pictured right with his catch today). As it happened we ended up on adjacent pegs. He’s still as disorganised as ever, God help us he does sort himself out as he a great angler.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 19. Umm, the only saviour was the wind was blowing into the bank. When this happens peg 17, 15 and 14 seem to be the boss pegs. I didn’t think I could pick up coin fishing for Carp so elected to fish for Silvers using the Ronnie rig with caster over caster down to my left where at even 12 inches from the bank I had 3ft 6ins of water. The margins are exceptionally deep at this end of the Lake. I also set up a paste rig to fetch out any interfering Carp from either the Left or right hand margins. I fed some hard 4’s down to my right up close to the sedges which forms a wall you can’t fish round. I started loose feeding caster with single casters on the Ronnie rig and started to catch small Hybrids from 1 oz to 4oz. Now this species can be difficult to catch as you need to be patient and not strike at the first indication which is the same even on natural venues including the river. So plenty of missed bites! To help boost the weight I did have a 2lb Perch out of the blue. With 1 ½ hours to go I noticed a swirl over the right hand margin where I had been continuously feeding hard 4’s, so went in with the paste and in six consecutive put-ins I hooked six Carp loosing two foul hookers landing four. I now wish I had switched immediately back to the Silvers but didn’t instead wasting some valuable time.

I finished freezing cold and 16lb of mainly Hybrids for second in the Silvers and my four Carp 33lb 8oz for a total of 49lb 8oz and a section 3rd. At least I got some coin.

The match was won by Joe McMahon (pictured upper right with his biggest Carp which weighed in at 18lb) with 119lb from peg 17. Joe caught straight off fishing at top-set plus three (the maximum allowed today) shallow using 10mm banded pellet over loose fed 6’s.

The Silvers was won by the winners Dad (pictured right with a familiar Perch) with 17lb from peg 13. Martyn caught on his top-set out in front using casters hook bait over caster.

It was back to Bar-Gar-Age for a Pinky Ponk. I also made a presentation to Bela for his endeavours in the Golden Reel matches he fished at Viaduct – A rusty Reel Handle for two poor draws.

Full Result:

  1. Joe McMahon 119-0-0 peg 17
  2. Chris Fox 89-03-0 peg 6
  3. Dave Evans 88-07-0 peg 32
  4. Martin Rayet 78-11-0 peg 8
  5. Clayton Hudson 62-09-0 peg 16
  6. John Waite 58-02-0 peg 14
Top Silvers:

  1. Martyn McMahon 17-0-0 peg 13
  2. Mike Nicholls 16-0-0 peg 19
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: