Wednesday 12 April 2017

Wednesday 12/04/2017 - Sedges Open - Brick Lake

With family commitments over the Easter I had to get a fix in before the post Easter Thursday, so called Glenn Bailey with a view of fishing Wednesday. Not to worry he was soon swayed form his gardening duties and booked us into Sedges. But first we had to find the relocated Hillview Café, which we did first attempt with directions from Clint Wojtyle. The café is smaller and right by Burnham sea wall, the menu is identical as is the quality of the excellent food. Bela will be pleased I found it.

When you haven’t been to a fishery for a while you can easily forget how good it can be. I was really looking forward to fishing it today, but was disappointed to find only nine booked in. I can’t understand why especially looking at the weigh sheet and how well it fished. First into the draw drum and out comes ping pong ball number 5. “Corner Two Pots” Bailey drew end peg 10 again!! That said I was delighted with my peg as it is one of the better Silvers pegs. The wind was blowing hard and gusting off my back and was bloody cold, and would keep veering making presentation difficult.

I came fully baited up but because of the low turn out I kept the expensive bait dry opting for the multi-buy pellet. So one 4x10 F1 Malman set up at top-set plus two to fish 4mm expander over hand fed hard fours for the Skimmers, and a PC paste float to fish over the same line later or sooner if the Carp arrived in numbers. Started on the expander and caught a couple of decent Skimmers followed quickly by a 10 lb Common. I did expect some early disruption from this species. I then had a lovely run of Skimmers and a lonely 3lb Tench. I then hooked a monster Carp which to be truthful I lost patients with, breaking my elastic instead of the 0.14 GLine! Lost the lot – my favourite float gone, we’ve been through a lot over the winter. This wasn’t expected. After re-rigging I kept on with the Skimmers until the last hour when the swim petered out. So had my first try of the new season with the paste, but because of the ever increasing wind chose to fish it at top set plus one where I still had the full depth of seven foot. Again I fished the paste over hand fed hard 4’s. I had two quick Skimmers so was just thinking why didn’t I try this earlier when the battles commenced with the margin dwellers. The up shot was I lost two munters one went behind my keepnets and the other was just wouldn’t come off bottom and with it so deep I had wound the laccy right to the top and bust the 0.18 GLine hook length!! However, I did land four up to 14lb 8oz.

My Skimmers weighed 51lb 10oz of Skimmers to 3lb for first in Silvers (pictured right) and my five Carp weighed in at 53lb 3oz for third overall. I wouldn’t like to think my impatiens costs me second – but might of!

As I expected the match was won by “Corner Two Pots” (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 219lb 6oz from peg 10. He caught most of his Carp at 13 metres fishing paste over potted soaked 4’s. Well done matey, double car bubble and I still bought the beers!

We will be sooner rather than later.

Note to Jamie “Need to run Sunday Opens Matey”!

Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 219-06-0 Peg 10
  2. Neil Adloct 133-06-0 peg 2
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 51-10-0 peg 5
  2. Paul Berry 39-12-0 peg 8
Weigh Sheet:



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really nice to see you today read your blog all the time and well done on the silvers win - Could have done with a bit more cloud but all in all a really nice day. Paul Berry