Sunday 30 April 2017

Sunday 30/04/2017 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

It was the usual wait outside the Kingswood Wetherspoons until dead on 08:00. In the meanwhile Bela managed to upset one of the Punters who was trying to get it before him, needless to say the gut went to the back of the queue. Not to worry I got to the till first and ordered Bela a Traditional breakfast which pissed him off because he didn’t feel sick afterwards. Apparently he’s on a diet. Geoff Francis managed to tip my tea up whilst I was getting some more brown sauce. In the process of clearing up Geoff lost my Camomile tea bag so I went to the fishery dry.

The weather was predicted to be windy with heavy showers. Got both wrong with the wind not that bad and the rain holding off to be replaced by two light showers. However, it was bloody freezing. No wonder the Silver fish are holding on to their spawn, which isn’t conducive to fishing. The wind was to be a nightmare for presentation gusting all over and was initially over my back only to switch later left to right.

I said to Bela I fancied peg 16 his reply was “what do you mean”. Enough said.

At the draw I mentioned that the consensus of the anglers fishing that the pools should be spread further. Dave Haines said he would discuss it later with management. Umm.

Peg 5 was first out for the golden peg; hope to miss this one then. I was chatting away so late to the draw box and out comes peg 18. I was happy with this as it has some good history of Carp which I decided to target. So I set up two rigs a 4x14 F1 winter to fish initially at top-set plus two which was the deepest part of the peg at 4 foot, and a 4x12 Winter to fish top-set plus one in 30 inches down the RH margin. The attack was meat over meat on the long line and meat over meat and micro down the margin. After setting up I went for a walk only to return and find my bait tray had been savaged by a Magpie. So I paced a cloth over the bait and walked again only to return to find the same Magpie had got into the bait bag and pierced all my plastic bags. The culprit pictured right.

I started by feeding the two lines, starting on the plus three line with 6mm meat. It was soon become clear it was going to be hard today – well in my peg. It took 15 minutes to get a bite which was a 4lb Mirror Carp. With half hour gone I had a 2oz Skimmer. Over he next 30 minutes there was no sign of any fish at all on this line. I decided to have a Banana walk and it was fishing very hard. So went back and tried the margin with 6mm meat and had a scale perfect 11lb Common. Went back out on the longer line and hooked a 10 lb Carp in the tail fin which was interesting for a good 15 minutes before we both got bored with the hook pulling out, however, with a bit more patients from both parties I would have landed it. I felt (mistakenly) I wasn’t going to get into the coin fishing for Carp so thought I would give the Silvers an opportunity so I added another section taking me to top-set plus four down at 2-o-clock switching into winter mode with DR’s over GB. The upshot was I had five decent Skimmers and after trying the RH margin on and off lost one more foul hooked Carp.

I finished with 11lb 8oz of Silver (seem familiar Dave Willmott) with the two Carp weighing in at 15lb 7oz for a fourth overall weight of 26lb 15oz. Umm that Carp did cost me.

The match was won by Chris Davis with a remarkable weight of 81lb 9oz from peg 22. Chris had buggered off to watch he football hope he isn’t a Arsenal fan. Chris caught short in four foot of water down to his Left fishing meat over meat. Chris fed a few cubes then sat over it until he caught a Carp then it was a repeat the fed.

The day was rounded off at the pub where we watched Spurs beat the Arsenal Ladies 2-0.

Full Result:

  1. Chris Davis 81-09-0 peg 22
  2. John Osborne 31-04-0 peg 20
  3. Paul Staite 30-12-0 peg 30
  4. Mike Nicholls 26-15-0 peg 18
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 11-08-0 peg 18
  2. Dave Haines 7-0-0 peg 24
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: