Sunday 22 January 2017

Sunday 22/01/2017 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match lake

First stop the Beefeater at Emerson to be welcomed by the notice plastered on the front door - pictured right. Apparently the dish washer had broken down! However, Geoff Francis flashed his eyes and smooth talked us in. Glad I’m no longer a share holder in Whitbread.

I previously agreed with Geoff that if my ice breaker bounced we would go straight to the pub. Arriving at the fishery it was only pegs 26 to 29 that were iced. In to the draw box and out comes peg 26 for me and Geoff peg 28 - umm. Based on previous form re-ice I predicted that the winner would come from this end of the Lake. I broke my ice first before handing the 4lb lump hammer to Geoff for him to clear his. The first thing he said was “what do I do with this” – enough said, I think it was the hammer that confused him. Chris “Have you heard the one about” Davis aka Chris Shipp was opposite on peg 32 where the ice was reasonably clear.

I cleared my swim to top-set plus four but planned to start at three sections where the depth was the same at 10 foot, so a 4x16 Malman F1 black top was the selected float. The rig consisted of 0.14 GLine to a 20 808 hook with double DR on the hook to fish over DR’s and a few grains of micro. I waited a while without any indication so decided to feed again only to find most of my initial feed stuck in the pot! So a swish the pot around this time and soon after I landed my first 4lb Common which was in absolutely perfect condition. I had five more Carp before the wind started to move the bulk of the un-cleared ice over my swim, this buggered my for a while in the meantime Chris on peg 32 was catching regularly. I tried tapping the ice with the pole pot but it was too thick and moving too fast, so went for a tea break around the fishery. On my return I could now reach behind the ice towards peg 27 at four sections so re-fed there but I had little confidence that I would catch here. After wasting an hour since the last fish the ice clear in front so switched back but keeping at four sections. I then had a great run with Carp to 8lb and at one time I thought I might catch up on Chris who had now slowed. It wasn’t until the last 15 minutes that the match was decided with Chris catching three to my one. The ice done me I think, but well done to Chris.

I weighed 62lb 7oz for second overall.

The match was won by Chris Davis from peg 32 (pictured upper right with his catch) with 67lb 12oz. Chris caught at 13 metres fishing triple red maggots over loose fed scrounged (from Geoff) hard fours.

The Silvers was won by Geoff Francis (pictured right with his catch) with 3lb 9oz of tiny Skimmers from peg 28 fishing singled red maggot over GB at 9 metres. Well done matey.

We both went to the Holly Bush for a de-brief and a pint, yet another great day out fishing.

Full Result:

  1. Chris Davis 67-12-0 peg 32
  2. Mike Nicholls 62-07-0 peg 26
Top Silvers:

  1. Geoff Francis 3-09-0 peg 28
Weigh Sheet: and Danielle Smith - The Boss


No comments: