Sunday 22 May 2016

Sunday - 22/05/2016 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

It was another local match for Bela and me at the Windmill Fishery, with seven of the twenty anglers breakfasting in the Beefeater. Nice and leisurely.

The car park has been enlarged and rolled flat so a lot more space out of the mud.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 1. I was happy with the location until I got to the peg to find that the Bankside sedges have really grown which limits visibility down each side of the peg . Terry needs to get these out quick as they will soon take over the fishery. The nearest you can get to the margin is now 1 ½ metres where there is 4 foot of water – not ideal. There was plenty of colour in the water so I was expecting a good day nonetheless, surprisingly for this fishery – no wind. I suspected that this might be detrimental to the fishing – I was right.

Unusually for me I set up four rigs with only the Ronnie rig catching today as the Carp and Skimmers failed to show. I ended up fishing caster over GB which resulted in a good first hour catching three Crucian’s, one Tench and a 1lb Perch. It then went tits-up for the next three hours and forty minutes just adding the odd Ronnie and Rudd, until I added one decent Skimmer. To say it fished hard is an understatement with four DNW’s at my end of the Lake.

No sign of any Carp my Silvers weighed 14lb 8oz for second in the Silvers by 2oz!

The match was won by Luke Pester (pictured right) with 65lb 7oz from end peg 11. Luke initially caught shallow at 14.5 metres shallow with 6mm banded over loose fed 4’s. However, most of his fish came to the straight lead down to his end bank catching on banded 8’s over minimal feeding of 6’s.

The Silvers was won by Dave “The Magician” Willmott with 14lb 10oz from peg 8. Dave caught mainly Rudd short on maggot over loos fed maggot.

The pictured on the right is of Welshman Neil Morgan landing a one of his Carp that helped him in to third place and last on the pools.

Full Result:

  1. Luke Pester 65-07-0 peg 11
  2. Martin Rayett 50-12-0 peg 20
  3. Neil Morgan 44-07-0 peg 27
  4. Stuart Barnett 34-12-0 peg 23
  5. Jon Clark 26-05-0 peg 22
  6. Geoff Francis 22-02 0 peg 10
Top Silvers:

  1. Dave Willmott 14-10-0 peg 8
  2. Mike Nicholls 14-08-0 peg 1
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: