Monday 13 April 2015

Sunday 12/04/2015 - Hillview Open - Moorhen Pool, Canals 1 and 3

Back to Hillview Fishery with Bela who can eat one of Keith’s large breakfasts quicker than I can eat an egg and bacon toastie!! He was hungry – then he always is.

Another good turn out and early into the woolly hat and out cones peg 1. Other than a Canal peg this is one peg I would have chosen simply because I was sheltered from the high freezing wind, getting shelter from the pine trees, short walk too which helps the aged. For Company I had Josh and Jake.

Because of the wind I decided to only fish top-sets with the pole safely packed away. I decided on a 4x14 Jolly to be fished down wind at 11 o clock in about 4 foot of water with semi-hard 4’s over kindered micros with some hard fours over the top. This rig picked up the tow against the wind superbly. The down wind LH margin was reserved for the paste using a 0.3 PC paste float fished over hard fours. However, this meant clearing out a small marginal area of old weed and tree roots which were to still cause some issues throughout the day. The RH margin was for 6mm meat attached to a 4x12 jolly, but the wind was causing havoc with the presentation.

Bela had drawn peg 5 and Just before the start a gust of wind blew his hat into the pool. It must have been a one hell of a high gust to achieve that one!! Wind definitely from the SW as Bela’s hat was soon recovered by peg 16. Later Tony on peg 4 who had his partner sat with him had her chair blow on to his pole breaking it.

I fed a small pot of meat into the RH margin and some micro out in front and started to dribble in some hard 4’s to my Left. First put in with semi-hard 4 I had the usual F1. I was able to catch a 4oz Skimmer every put in so I started to loose feed some hard fours over the top and started to catch more F1’s to a near 4lb plus a few small Carp to 4lb. I then hooked a large Common Carp near 20lb which I seem to play for ages I couldn’t get it off the bottom, finally I had it beat only for the hook to pull just as was planning to net it – bugger. Having tried the meat margin a number of times without ant indication I abandoned it, the wind was making presentation too difficult. The plan was to start with the paste margin at 2 o clock leaving plenty of time to bag. On the dot in I went with the paste and it wasn’t long before I was getting liners. It started slow nicking the odd decent Carp then from 2-30 to 3-30 I had a golden hour getting a decent Carp regularly – on for some coin I’m thinking. Unfortunately during last hour it slowed, but I could see fish in the peg which resulted in some foul hooking. I decided to put a whole pot of dead reds in which did bump start the swim again taking the fish down.

I finished with 128lb 12oz fro 6th overall 30lb of this was “Landsend Silvers” dubious F1’s – definitely Carp.

The match was won by Danny Bafer (pictured right indicating his winning  peg) with 215lb 8oz. Danny caught initially on the meat feeder over to the opposite island then later switched to the pole fished short, again using meat hook bait over loose fed meat.

Bob Gullick was here today practising for the forth coming festival which has already attracted 50 Anglers. However, it was Bob’s turn to get a battering off the next peg by “Top Kit” King. Terry is the epiphany of doing the key elements of fishing right – feeding and presenting – a phenomena. Because Terry is superstitious he doesn’t do the super pool concerned that this would lead to poor draws. However, Keith and Huggy pay the pools on his behalf and twice over the weekend they have earned themselves £25 each!  Terry was 2nd on Saturday with 171 lb (pictured left with a small bucket of fish) and 151lb on Sunday sat facing into a horrendous wind (pictured right counting his winnings).






















Bela having won last weeks Landsend match with a double he thought 80lb caught from peg 5 wasn't worth weighing in!!

Full Result:

  1. Danny Bafer 215-08-0 peg 7
  2. Terry King 151-12-0 peg 15
  3. Trevor Chalk 147-04-0 peg 8
  4. Huggy 142-12-0 peg 11
  5. John Watson 132-12-0 peg 10
  6. Mike Nicholls 128-12-0 peg 1
Weigh Sheets:



















No comments: