Sunday 12 April 2015

Saturday 11/04/2015 - Hillview open - Heron, Moorhen. Canals One and Three

I managed to get son Steve out fishing today after a year’s lay-off which really pleased me because he’s great company and an excellent occasional angler. Plus it was my 66th birthday on the 2nd so a promise of a sit down curry after the match which was very good (Chicken “Jay” Special), especially the Kingfisher larger!!

For me it was the start of a double header weekend at Hillview.

It’s 51 miles to Hillview but it’s a much easier drive than some regular venues I visit – Ring Road – M4 – M5 – M50 – J1.

Cripes, it definitely Spring with Red Ants nest all over the fishery (pictured right).

After one of Keith’s mouth watering Egg and Bacon toasties it was in to the woolly hat, apparently its Keith second woolly hat because someone nicked the first one!! Out comes peg 26 on Heron OK for me however, I was surprised to see peg 25 also in which was occupied by the very affable Welshman Phil Weaver. Next angler on peg 28 was matey “Top Kit” King, so another angling lesson on the horizon. I was to spend most of the day in the shade and cold NW wind.

We all have those off days when setting up everything that can go wrong does. I lost the screw to my Boss box puller, stood on my cupping kit (Clayton hope you see this), tangled my rigs before the start etc… Finally got a 4x14 Jolly set up to be fished down wind at 2 o clock at top set plus one in 3 foot of water. With only minutes left I managed to set up a 0.4 gram paste rig for the RH margin.

Starting on the Jolly with semi- hard pellet over some kinder damped micro I had the prescribed quick F1. From then on I was pestered by Ronnie’s and Skimmers irrespective of the bait or where I fished. Looking around the fishing was slow; Phil Weaver was having similar small fish problems, so having half a pint of casters left over from Thursday’s match I set up the Ronnie rig with single caster on the hook. For the next two hours I put 30lb of Ronnie’s to 12oz in the net plus two 2lb Skimmers, during this time I foul hooked five Carp!! However, Terry had started to bag on the meat – ass kicking commenced. So it was time to try again for Carp with the Jolly, this time switching to meat. I did have three Carp and some more F1’s before the Silvers started pecking away. With an hour to go I went in the LH margin with the paste and had a few more of the Pools bigger Carp. I should have tried the paste earlier.

I finished the match with 30lb of proper Silvers and 48lb of Carp for a total of 78lb. I wish there was a regular Silvers pool for those of us that like fishing for them and those that are pegged in the same section as matey Terry King!!

Steve drew end bank peg 22 which can be feasts or famine, I was glad to just pip his 63lb. Both had a great day out, I expect Steve will be out more often.

The match was won by Andy Neal (pictured right – pointing to the winning peg) with 199lb 8oz. Andy caught initially on the straight lead and pellet and later long down his LH margin with meat which resulted in some of the Pools larger fish.

Full Result:

  1. Andy Neal 199-08-0 peg 37
  2. Terry “Top Kit” King 171-04-0 peg 28
  3. Neville Groves 153-08-0 peg 73
  4. Matty Hamilton 127-08-0 peg 12
  5. Francis 126-08-0 peg 16
  6. Chris Cork 114-01-0 peg 78
Weigh Sheets:




























No comments: