Thursday 19 February 2015

Thursday 19/02/2015 - Veals/Bathampton AA - Silvers Championship - Round Three - Bridge Pool

When I was working in Port Said (Egypt) I mentioned to my Egyptian colleges over dinner that I was interested in Egyptology. On my next day off they kindly arranged for me to visit Cairo’s Museum where they were exhibiting the full Tutankhamen recent discovery. They also arranged for a one to one English speaking guide. I spent most of the day there; I could have spent a full week. I was particularly interested in the burial artefacts. Why am I mentioning this, well this week my two Granddaughters as part of their home learning needed to visit Bristol Museum, I jumped at the opportunity to take them to see the small Egyptian exhibition. One item that made an impression was the fishing hooks buried with a fisherman (pictured right). These hooks are nearly 4000 years old and as far as I can see are not too different from today’s hooks, the gapes were about 10mm – one eyed hook and one spade end – both hand made!!

The BBC weather forecast was for high winds and heavy rain – I hate it when they get it right nearly as much as I hate high winds.

Arriving early at the draw I couldn’t help noticing the pair of sellotaped trainers (pictured right) being sported by an Acorn Fishery regular.

Today was the draw for the pairs and I was lucky enough to draw Dave Bacon, let’s hope we can keep out of the same section.

In to the draw bag and out comes two peg stuck together, both went back in and went for a single which was end peg 4 (I always wonder if I put back better pegs – will never know). I was reasonably happy with the peg. Charlie Barnes drew it last match had only had 1lb, but that tells me nothing as it was iced over which changes everything. The main worry was the high winds gusting in through the gap into Withy. I wanted to fish to my right but that was a no-no as this meant fishing up wind. I settled for down wind at 6 metres for my one rig a 4x16 Jolly.

I decided to fish two swims the first at 11 o clock where I would feed soft pellet 4’s, Micro and Dead reds. The other about 1 metres further down where I fed GB laced with Pinkie. I did this so that the wind and I could “Stick Float” the Jolly through both swims using double dead red hook bait.

Both the rain and wind gradually worsened. It took an hour to get my first bite over the GB which was a 5lb Tench. I kept topping up both lines. In to the second hour I had my second fish a 2lb Skimmer over the pellet line. The third hour I had another 5lb Tench. For the rest of the match I only landed three Ronnie’s and a tiny Perch. I did lose a foul hooked Carp over the pellet line.

My Silvers weighed 11lb 15oz for a section win and fifth overall.

My pair’s partner also won his section from peg 29 so a good start for us.

The match was won by Dave Wride (pictured right) with 46lb 10oz from peg 19. Dave caught Skimmers and Bream on “The pole in the Lake”.

Full Result:

  1. Dave Wride 46-10-0 peg 19
  2. Ray Bazeley 29-14-0 peg 18
  3. Mike Jones 13-13-0 peg 15
  4. Paul Barnfield 13-04-0 peg 21
  5. Mike Nicholls 11-15-0 peg 4
  6. Mike Owens 10-07-0 peg 11
Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: