Sunday 22 February 2015

Sunday 22/02/2015 - Hillview Open Canals One and Two

After pole fighting the wind and having the equivalent of buckets of water thrown over me on my Thursday match I wasn’t sorry when Glenn Bailey on Friday cried off Hillview on Sunday due to the horrendous weather forecast. However, come Saturday Glenn must have looked at a forecast in some other country as he called and said the weather would be OK so would I come with him. I never turn down the opportunity to go fishing with someone. I rang Keith Hill and said he had 49 booked in for the Saturday match. He said it was because of his delicious breakfasts!! Everyone except Glenn knew it was because of the horrendous weather on the way for Sunday. I booked us in for two breakfasts.

Not surprising to find only 11 fishing all but one must have the same mobile weather App as Glenn!!

Luckily Keith put us all on Canals 1 and 2. In to the woolly hat and out comes peg 64 on the second Canal. I would have preferred to have been at the other end as that end of all the Canals have been fishing best, plus it would be less wind affected.

Glenn drew peg 42 opposite me on the first Canal – again the wrong end as the match yesterday was won from other end peg 51.

For company I had the venue expert Nev Groves on peg 61 – middle of the Canal, not that I seen much of him as I was facing down wind for the whole match.

I decided on the one rig a 4x12 Jolly to be fished at 5 metres down the track and down wind at 2 o clock. It would be a case of dripping wetted micro (that’s right we can now feed pellet wet providing it’s not fed in squeezed up balls) and fishing soaked 4’s over the top.

As soon as we started the rain and wind also started which was absolutely freezing, my hands all but seized up – my gloves were in my car outside the house! Luckily the rain temperature increased slightly so I was then able to hook the pellet. I immediately started catching small Crucian’s from 2 to 4oz. And that was how the match carried on adding the occasional small Carp to 2lb and small 10oz F1’s. Unfortunately with an hour to go the wind blew my hookers over and by the time I recovered them they had gone mushy – bugger. It was too late to wet more so I had to pick out the best I could with many being blown off the hook before they got near the water. The last hour was miserable to say the least with 3 inch high waves to contend with.

The two anglers next to Glenn packed up at half match with Glenn threatening to do the same, leaving me behind.

I weighed 30lb which was much more than I thought. This left me third overall and third in the section. Other than the weather is was another enjoyable day ay at Hillview.

As I predicted at the start Nev Groves (pictured right) won the match with 46lb 8oz from peg 61. Nev initially caught over to the far bank, switched to the track both lines pellet over pellet then in the last hour came short with maggot hook bait where he had been loose feeding maggot adding a Carp and 7 F1’s to his catch.

Full Result:


  1. Nev Groves 46-08-0 peg 61
  2. Courtney 32-06-0 peg 58
  3. Mike Nicholls 30-0-0 peg 64
  4. Pete 21-12-0 peg 56
  5. Andy 19-0-0 peg 48
  6. Brian Proctor 13-0-0 peg 50
  7. Glenn Bailey 11-02-0 peg 42

No comments: