Sunday 7 December 2014

Sunday 07/12/2014 - Ivy House Christmas Match - Match Lake and New Canal

It now official that Tony Rixon will be starting at Veals Tackle shop in the New Year, apparently as Tim Pallant’s Gimp!!

Bela was out on his “Office Christmas do” yesterday so I fetched his van round my house and picked (sorry scraped) him up this morning. Unbelievably he still managed one of Karen’s big breakfasts.

It was a Christmas Match today with a £25 price tag. However; the price did include a meal after the match.

When Andy announced that he was paying one in each section of 4 or 5 peg sections i.e. no Silvers I was a tad disappointed as I had come set to fish for them. My fault I should check before I book in.

In to the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 37 which is facing east on the end of the island. It was a reasonable draw as at the start I had the wind and rain off my back. The venue had been fishing very hard so I stuck by my guns and fished for Silvers as I usually get disrupted by the Carp on most days fishing this way. So it was just the one rig a 4x14 jolly to be fished at 11 o clock.

At the off I started on single dead fluro maggot over kindered micro/Pinkie. It took half hour to get my first bite a 3lb Skimmers. I had two more Skimmers over the next hour. The wind picked up and swung round slightly increasing the steady tow against significantly, making the jolly not man enough for a while. We are always looking for reasons why things change but after this I didn’t get another bite even though the wind subsided - that was my lot even though in the last hour I increased the feeding hoping for a Carp or two. My Silvers weighed 7lb 6oz which happened to be the best Silvers weight on the day.
The match was won by Dick Young (pictured right with his Grandson Josh who came third on the next peg to Gramps – using identical tactics) with 8 Carp for 51lb 14oz from peg 22. Dick caught a Carp first put in on the pole using maggot over some GB. Dick then switched to maggot on the straight lead to add another seven Carp.

I must say credit today goes to Karen for providing a great roast dinner with a delicious Chicken and Leak pie with five veg plus a first for me - Mulled Cider. The tables were all set out with flowers and candles giving a certain ambiance – pictured lower right.

Full Result:

  1. Dick Young 51-14-0 peg 22
  2. Chris Cottrell 46-04-0 peg 11 (New Canal)
  3. Josh Clarke 42-10-0 peg 20
  4. Mr. Magoo 33-11-0 peg 33
  5. Si Davis 33-11-0 peg 29
  6. Paul Dressler 30-0-0 peg 31
Weigh Sheet:


2 comments:

Don Sutherland said...

Rumour has it they got a vacuum cleaner with Tony's name on it.
Should be amusing.

Anonymous said...

Good wording Mike,rixon starting at veals,instead of rixon WORKING at veal, wonder where he's going to stand for 8 hours a day.