Sunday 6 October 2013

Sunday 06/10/2013 - Viaduct Individual Silvers League - Round One - Campbell, Carey and Lodge

After breakfast in Canards Well Hotel it was off to the first match in the 2013 Viaduct silvers league with 53 0f the top South West and Wales Commercial Silvers anglers booked in. The lakes are Campbell, Carey and Lodge all of which were hard fished yesterday I the all-winners Carp final. So with plenty of bait going in we were all dubious on how it was going to fish. Add the flat calm bright conditions all didn’t bode too well. There was no need to worry on this venue as it always delivers one way or another, as it did today with the majority on the angler breaking double figures.
 
Bait-tech handed out a freebie of their new range of GB a kind gesture I thought. I wanted a peg on Carey Lake and I wasn’t disappointed pulling peg 80 from the coffee tin. Not one of the pegs I would have chosen but on the Lake I wished for. Martin Preston had fished it the day before and said he had been pestered by skimmers fishing meat over meat and hemp!!
 
I set up a 4 x14 Jolly to be fished at 10 metres at 1-o-clock over GB with a host of hook baits to be fished over it. The old reliable Ronnie rig for caster over caster and a 4 x 12 Jolly for up against the LH spit again a t 10 metres.
 
On the whistle I fed five balls of neat GB on the long line and some CW&C against the spit, but starting on the Ronnie rig with caster, whilst things settled. I had a few Ronnie’s but they wouldn’t settle. So I tries 3mm expander pallet over the GB which resulted in one liner so out again with double dead red which only resulted in a Carp which straighten the hook. I tried resettling the hook in the old tried and tested method by bending it between my front upper and lower teeth only to break a piece of my tooth off, leaving me with out a straightening tool, which I was going to need a good few times more! I did have four small Skimmers before the next Carp came to their rescue.
 
I started to catch Ronnie’s which is normally a sign to re-feed. However, I think this was a mistake swim erupted with Carp – bugger.
 
So on to the chop worm line with a biggish piece of worm and first put in I hooked and landed a 6lb Common Carp. So back on to the Ronnie rig and it wasn’t too long before I hooked another carp and a new hook length was required. I kept trying the three lines until I hooked a Carp steadily catching Ronnie’s. So come the end of a frustrating match I still managed to put 18lb 3oz on the scales for last in the section. I think I made a few mistakes today; one which would not normally be associated with me – over feeding. The other mistake was not fishing against the spit enough because switching back there with 30 minutes left and lightly kindering a few casters with single caster on the hook resulted an Tench and an Hybrid bugger. That said most anglers found the Carp very active. Come on the first frost.
 
I have only drawn next to matey Bela twice and twice he has beaten me including today. Bela weighed 25lb for second in section pick up by default.
 
The match was won by Matt Tomes (pictured right with his nice net of decent Skimmers) from peg 78 with 41lb 5oz. Matt caught on soft pellet (4 and 6mm) over dry GB fished at 14.5 metres. I thought Matt fish a good, quite steady match. Well done matey.

Considering the condition's it fished really well with 26lb being the lowest section winning weight with 20lb being par.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Matt Tomes 41-05-0 peg 78
  2. Bob Gullick 40-03-0 peg 86
  3. Paul Faiers 37-02-0 peg 69
  4. Tony Rixon 36-09-0 peg 101
  5. Andy Neal 35-07-0 peg 97
  6. Ian Didcot 34-03-0 peg 100
Weigh Sheets:
 
 

No comments: