Wednesday 17 July 2013

Wednesday 17/07/2013 - Avon Angling Open - Acorn Fishery - Paddocks

It’s now official we are in a heat wave with today the hottest day of the year – so far. Temperatures are creeping up daily – expect 30 degrees tomorrow. No moaning please.
 
With my usual Wednesday travelling partner, Glenn Bailey preferring work to fishing I was on my own today for Rip offs Wednesday match. There was the usual Tuesday match yesterday with 20 fishing. However, not to worry about the fish being fed off for our match today as most of the fish were in Des Shipp’s keep nets for most of the day. Des weighed 300lb from peg 10!
 
The match was pegged between peg 1 and 21 so all good pegs as far as I am concerned. So in to the draw tin and out comes peg 7. I was happy with this as I have yet to fish it. For company on peg 6 I had Martin “The Method” Alexander.
 
I set up two paste rigs one for each side margin and the other to fish a top set plus one down the inside shelf and one Ronnie rig to thrash around with smelly caster.
 
I started on the Ronnie rig with caster and had a 3lb Carp first put in followed by a few smaller versions. I then started to get bites from very tiny fish (this year’s fish which look like they are going to be Skimmers one day). I switched to the paste in the LH margin and had a few more Carp before it went iffy with Silver fry taking a liking to my paste (these may become a nuisance for paste anglers). Time to try the deeper paste rig which after a ait resulted in better Carp but it was slow. On this line I did have my usual 3lb Tench and a couple of Skimmers. The upshot was by swopping between the two paste lines I kept a few Carp coming albeit a bit on the small size. With an hour to go I concentrated on the LH margin and had the fish lined up until I lost one in a snag which I mange to dislodge making it far worse losing another two fish to it before the end even though I was trying to play fish around it – bugger, I also lost a float! This affected the fishing for the last hour somewhat which was a bit disappointing.
 
I had 16 small Carp and 20 better ones for 120lb 11oz and my Silvers went 6lb 10 oz for a total of 127lb 5oz for second overall, but only just!
 
The match was won by Tony “Rip Off” Rixon (pictured right with some of his catch) from peg 1 (again) with an excellent on the day weight of 209lb 10oz. Tony caught on … see his blog.
 
The Silvers once again was won by Barry Fitchew (pictured right with his mixed catch of Silvers) with 23lb 8oz from peg 12. Barry caught on red maggot over red maggot from each of his margins and out in front. Barry fed bout two pints through out.
 
Full Result:
1.      Tony Rixon 209-10-0 peg 1
2.      Mike Nicholls 127-05-0 peg 7
3.      Phil Harding 126-15-0 peg 15
4.      Joe McMahon 109-01-0 peg 4
5.      Roy Healy 106-07-0 peg 10
6.      Jamie Dyke 105-06-0 peg 21
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Barry Fitchew 23-08-0 peg 12
2.      Clive Feddery 19-11-0 peg 9
 
Weigh Sheet Follows:
 
 

No comments: