Wednesday 3 July 2013

Wednesday 03/07/2013 - Avon Angling Open - Acorn Fishery - Paddocks

It was off to Acorn again with fellow paste buddy Glenn Bailey. It’s no surprise to me that we both fish the bait differently and I mean totally different. Glenn fed 7 pints of 4’s today and I fed ½ pint, plus our paste is totally different. It goes to show how different we all fish on commercial’s compared with river and canal fishing.
 
After breakfast it was in to Tony’s new draw coffee tin and out comes a peg with a zero at the end. So would it be 10, 30 or 40 – all good pegs. Yippee, it was peg 10, the best of the bunch. I was very happy with this peg as I had plenty of room. For company I had Barry Fitchew on peg 9. Barry fished for Silvers all day with maggot over maggot and caught Skimmers steady throughout (pictured right with his net of fish) for second in the Silvers.
 
Within 20 minutes I was set up with two paste rigs, one for the LH margin and the other at full depth at top set plus one.
 
On the whistle I started by feeding a few 4’s in to the margin and the paste was immediately being attacked by Silvers – Umm. I then caught a 3lb Tench. So I decided to get a 4x12 jolly out and have a go with caster over caster which resulted in two more Tench and a handful of Skimmers before it went quiet. So back out on the paste with hard 4’s and I had a run of mid size Carp, before it went iffy with liners. This drove me mad for a while so switched to the longer line at 4 metres kindering just a five 4’s and amazingly the swim started to fizz. Again I was getting liners even though I wasn’t feeding much at all. So I stopped feeding and caught Carp steady for a couple of hours. The upshot was that I kept a few Carp coming by switching between the margin and 4 metre line. But I hadn’t caught anywhere near as much as I had thought I would from this swim – I was a tad disappointed. Luckily the Lake hadn’t fished as well as it could with my Silvers weighing 11lb 2oz and my Carp (about thirty) 104lb 15oz for a second overall weight of 116lb 1oz.
 
The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 1 with 148lb 13oz. Tony caught on…see his blog for further details.
 
The Silvers was won by Phil Harding with 30lb 3oz from peg 33. Phil caught on worm over caster down the track.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Tony Rixon 148-13-0 peg 1
2.      Mike Nicholls 116-01-0 peg 10
3.      Jamie Dyte 114-04-0 peg 3
4.      Gabriel Skarba 112-15-0 peg 22
5.      Martin Alexander 112-03-0 peg 5
6.      Tom Thick 96-05-0 peg 40
7.      Glenn Bailey 96-02-0 peg 29
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Phil Harding 30-3-0 peg 33
2.      Barry Fitchew 26-07-0 peg 9
3.      John Bradford 13-04-0 peg 38
 
Weigh Board Follows:
 
 

No comments: