Monday 17 June 2013

Saturday - 15/06/2013 - Viaduct Open - Lodge Lake

Day one of our annual fishing holiday and the second year at Viaduct Fishery in their excellent accommodation – comes highly recommended. With the same four as last year – Mark Tanner, Glenn Bailey, Martyn Woodington and I with Tim Ford coming down for the Wednesday and Thursday matches.
 
We were booked in to the Viaduct Open however; Mark couldn’t fish today due to undisclosed reasons! Martyn drew peg 73, Glenn one of my favourite peg 66 and me on 70. Based on recent form all corner pegs have been doing the business, so was expecting both Martyn and Glenn to be buying the beers tonight. For company I had Dave “Jinx” Roper on peg 69 and Pete new comer on peg 71. However, in the bright sunshine we were being blinded by the two keep nets opposite (pictured right). Who on earth buys keep nets this colour, someone that gets them free with a full set of hi-viz clothing me thinks. Or is it Elf and safety gone mad - didn’t do the fishing much good either.
 
For starters I had decided to have a dabble for the Silvers with casters on the Ronnie rig with the main attack being paste at 9 metres. I was soon on the paste even though I did have a 10 lb Common on the caster because all I could catch was the resident small fish – Rudd, Ronnie’s and tiny Skimmers. It was also soon obvious that the Lake wasn’t going to fish that well even though the conditions were favourable – was it because there were 15 of us on the Lake – I don’t think so – it’s just that time of year. I did have five Skimmers on the paste and by feeding heavier than usual with micro I have another six Common Carp to 10lb. My seven Carp weighed 52lb 2oz and my few Silvers 9lb 9oz. You certainly couldn’t have guessed where the winner would come from with none of the corners living up to their reputation allowing me to sneak in third and a section pick up – a good start – I’m not buying the beers though!
 
The match was won by John Derby (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 60 with 94lb 11oz. John caught 50% on the straight lead with hard pellet and 50% on the meat short on the pole.
 
The Silvers was won by Bob Gullick (pictured right with his catch) with 33lb from peg 68, consisting of 50% small fish and 50% decent Skimmers. Bob caught on maggot, caster and worm fished over caster and GB.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      John Derby 94-11-0 peg 60
2.      Dan White 77-09-0 peg 57
3.      Mike Nicholls 61-11-0 peg 70
4.      John Green 49-08-0 peg 59
5.      Lewis Greenwood 46-06-0 peg 53
6.      Glenn Bailey 41-02-0 peg 66
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Bob Gullick 33-0-0 peg 68
2.      John Green 10-10-0 peg 5
 
Weight Board follows:
 
 

No comments: