Wednesday 12 December 2012

Sunday 20/08/1978 – Golden Carp - Silverlands Trophy

Still very much a part time match angler but I was always on the looked out for matches at Silverlands Lake - Wick Farm, Wick Lane, near Lacock, Chippenham. This Lake was a particular favourite of mine, mainly because it is very open with no trees anywhere near the bank plus plenty of framing pegs. The downside was the walk to the Lake, particularly the walk back – all up hill. I think these days you can now drive to the Lake.

With my new six legged basket and float rod (yes just the one) packed in the car it was off up the A420 to the Silverlands Trophy Open and due to it's popularity I only just managed to book into.

The talk before the match was whether corn would win the match with Tench as Bob Warren (another fan of Silverlands) had won the previous match on the weed bed peg 16 in this way. I did have a tin of corn in case I drew in the Lakes leg weed bed, but as I drew peg 5 which was on the near bank around the first leg the corn stayed in the tin. The approach was to be a 3xAA home made Peacock waggler with three no 10’s down the line (not much different than today). With 1 ½ lb Maxima hook length to 3lb Maxima reel line on an ABU closed face reel which I had just started using. The bait was simple, fine brown GB and white maggot. The plan was to feed regular walnut sized balls of GB laced with a few maggots as far out as possible by hand fishing the waggler over the top. By letting the tow or wind drag the waggler through would usually catch the Skimmers on single white maggot (up to a pound back then). However, having tried this I found I was getting small Ronnie’s and Rudd on the drop. So I switched to loose feeding maggot and by regular casting caught small fish now and then. As the match was fishing hard I stuck with it to the end. I was on the opposite side of the Lake to Eddie Shortman and could hear him explaining to his neighbouring angler that the only way he could catch was also on the drop.

I weighed 4lb 8oz for fifth overall, with Eddie beating me to fourth by 4oz.

Three pegs up from me on peg 2 was Steve Evans who was the only angler to put some Skimmers together, winning the match with 15lb 3oz. beating his nearest rivals, including his Dad Les by 10 lb.

Full Result: (right is the Angling Press Match report)
 
1.      Steve Evans 15-03-0
2.      Les Evans 5-12-0
3.      Tony Reece 5-04-0
4.      Eddie Shortman 4-12-0
5.      Mike Nicholls 4-08-0
6.      Ray Bazeley 3-08-0

2 comments:

Bristol Psv said...

All change now, Bob won't use corn even though it only costs 21p in Sainsburys

tony rixon,s days out said...

tony reece actually managed to turn up for a match he booked into, totally relible tone lol