Wednesday 12 September 2012

Wednesday 12/09/2012 - Avon Angling Top Five Open Match - Acorn Fishery - Paddocks

Missed the weekend fishing due to Darren Gillman’s Stag day out, hangover gone, back ache easing from the Karting (manic), it was back on the Boss box at Acorn fishery for the Avon Angling top Five Open. Luckily I had a breakfast at home as they don’t serve breakfast on Tony’s Wednesday matches. However, there were a few anglers that left the draw hungry.
 
In to the draw box and out came peg 12, I had to look twice as it is a flyer peg which I had drawn a few weeks back winning from it. However, this time peg 11 was also in, but luckily for me the Gimp arrived on it!
 
This peg is an out and out Carp peg. So I initially set up one paste rig for the RH margin. I was ready 45 minutes before the “all in” so set up a Ronnie rig for the caster – can’t help myself. On the whistle I started on the Ronnie rig with single caster fished over loose fed caster and was soon into a 2oz Perch followed by a Carp. That was it, up the bank with the rig spending the rest of the match on the paste rig. Starting on the top set I caught quite fast for half hour that was until Tom Ford but the voodoo on me by saying I would do 200lb today!! For the next hour I struggled catching the odd Carp. It was obvious that they weren’t really having a go today and were backing off the feed. Of course the temptation is to chase them along the bank which can end in tears as it is easy to chase then beyond the top five. I gradually worked my way along until the last hour when I was at the full distance, but still only catching the odd Carp. On the whistle I had 30 Carp to 8lb and a few accidental Skimmers and a Tench. My Silvers went 7lb 11oz and my Carp 110lb for a match winning total of 117lb 11oz.
 
I fed one pint of hard 4’s and about half pint of casters, using about 1 ½ pints of paste.
 
The match was won my Craig Edmonds (pictured right) with 43lb 12oz of Skimmers from peg 1. Craig caught on single caster fished over kinder potted caster, feeding about 1 pint throughout the match.
 

Full Result:
 
1.      Mike Nicholls 117-11-0 peg 12
2.      Glenn Bailey 99-0-0 peg 21
3.      Phil Harding 98-03-0 peg 15
4.      Mike West 91-08-0 peg 13
5.      Mash 90-07-0 peg 9
6.      Chris Winstone 70-08-0 peg 5
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Craig Edmonds 43-12-0 peg 1
2.      John Bradford 29-08-0 peg 11
 
Finally Trigger earned himself another £15 salvaging a pole section as per the attached video, kindly provided by Nick Brown.

3 comments:

Fishingken said...

Mike, I'm not surprised you won. Everyone else was fishing their top 4s!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

The match was top set plus two. A top set consists of three sections, making the match a top 5 match. However, we throw away the skinny bit on the end as it is only used by proper anglers using girls elastic, making it a four section match, which I fished.

Fishingken said...

LOL - thats what I suspected, but someone had to ask.