Monday 17 September 2012

Sunday 16/09/2012 - Avon Angling Top Six Open - Paddocks and Dog Bone

Back down to Acorn for the second time this week for the Avon Angling Top Six Pole Open. With all 50 pegs in I was secretly hoping to be on the Dog Bone as I fancied an easy day on the Skimmers, as my “Karters back” is still playing me up. The Carp are also much smaller.
 
Into the draw bag where I found only two pegs left, out comes peg 30 on Paddocks. I was happy with this as I drew peg 31 a few weeks back and had a good day on the Silvers, plus “toning” it late on with big Carp.
 
Arriving at the peg I found peg 29 empty and peg 31 with Thyers Brian Slipper sky lining it. As I prefer to fish the margins on this venue I was disappointed to find the peg had no bank side cover from the resident sedges – just bare bank, each side. I plumbed up both margins and found the RH side six inches deeper, plus I had the extra room. The LH margin for some reason had a big shadow over it which kept moving!!
 
So the one paste margin rig for later in the match, hopefully only required after bagging on the Silvers! I set up my usual Ronnie rig, a Skimmer rig (4x14 Stainey) and finally a 0.5 gram paste rig for over the skimmer line at 4 metres. I didn’t get out the number six section as I don’t often fish that far out on this venue. I started on the Ronnie rig with single caster over loose fed caster and first cast hooked and landed a Carp. Hopefully that was the one hungry one out of the way. I then had a 3lb Skimmer – here we go then – not. So a switch to the Skimmer rig again with single caster hook bait over kinder potted caster and I was soon in my second and last Silver a 4oz Skimmer. I spent the next hour trying allsorts to catch Silvers, but to no avail. So out came the 0.5 paste rig to fish over the Skimmer line which resulted in one a foul hooked Carp luckily it was hooked under the chin so was easyish to land. That was it for the 4 metre line. So the last four hours or so I spent in the RH margin catching on paste over dripped hard 4’s, but it wasn’t frantic at anytime as I would catch two and then had a long wait before they sulked back. I think they were backing off due to the disturbance from playing them. I ended the match with 21 Carp which weighed 77lb 9oz and by targeted Silvers an embarrassing 3lb 4oz for a total of 80lb 13oz. I was surprised to find this put me 5th overall, but 7oz out of the coin – bugger – I lost one at the net.
 
Bela had pulled end peg 9 on the Dog Bone a peg I would have liked. Bela did well from it catching 52lb of small Carp – but no Silvers which I thought was interesting. Likewise Bela was one of his Lake coin.

The match was won by matey Glenn Bailey (pictured right - pictures courtesy of Ray Bazeley) from peg 2 with 111lb 10oz. Glenn caught on his top six fishing paste over kinder potted hard pellet.
 
The Silvers was won by Tom Thick (pictured lower right) from peg 5 – Dog Bone with 32lb 10oz. The Silvers runner up Pete Wild was on adjacent peg 4.


Full Result:
 
1.      Glenn Bailey 111-10-0 peg 2
2.      Alan Oram 104-0-0 peg 7
3.      Tim Ford 98-10-0 peg 27
4.      Bob Gullick 81-03-0 peg 21
5.      Mike Nicholls 80-13-0 peg 30
6.      Craig Edmonds 80-09-0 peg 1
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Tom Thick 32-10-0 peg 5 Dog Bone
2.      Pete Wild 27-04-0 peg 4 Dog Bone
3.      Martin Rayet 24-06-0 peg 2 Dog Bone

No comments: