Wednesday 1 August 2012

Wednesday 01/08/2012 - Avon Angling Open - Acorn Fishery - Paddocks

I watched some of the Olympic Swimming last night and thought some of the swimmers were disrespectful to the crowd who were cheering them on whilst some of the USA Swimmers wore their iPod head phones.

It was a nice surprise to see Pete Notton back out fishing. Pete caught 50lb which got him keen to fish again.

In to the draw bucket where there was only two left, one for me and the last one went to Tony Rixon. I pulled peg 15 and Tony peg 4. I think we would have both been happy with either peg.

The wind was blowing down the venue so I was hoping my empty peg would be down wind. Luckily it was.

I set up the usual caster rigs and paste rigs. One of each rig for the margin and one each to be fished at 3 metres. Starting on the margin caster rig I caught a menagerie of Silver fish straight off, unfortunately it only lasted an hour before I lost two big Skimmers (foul hooked me thinks). That seemed to be it as I could only catch small 1oz Perch. I had been feeding hard 4’s at 3 metres so tried the paste over it. There were a few Carp there but due to the wind the tow made presentation difficult with paste. I missed four bites or liners) before hooking my first small Carp. I had to give this line up as it became very frustrating; before I did I tried a worm over the top and missed a few perch tugs. So back on the margin caster and a few more Silvers, but it appeared that the swim was being disrupted by Carp. So on to the margin paste rig switching to feeding hard 4’s instead of caster. I caught the odd Carp, but it wasn’t until the last hour and half that I started to put a Carp weight together, with the last 30 minutes adding ten better Carp.

The tow is usually a lot stronger in the margins as it was today, with it strong enough to pull the paste off before it settled properly. The opposite is true in that the tow is not so strong down the track. It's all to do with the hydraulics and volume/mass of water.

My silvers weighed 11lb 6oz and my Carp 106lb 8oz for a total of 117lb 14oz. This put me fourth overall and a section win.

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with a polish catch) on peg 4 with 166lb 5oz. Tony caught … see his blog.

The Silvers was won by Craig “Trigger” Edmondson (pictured lower right with his excellent catch of hand size Skimmers) from peg 16. Craig caught down the track using caster over kinder potted caster.


Full Result:

1.      Tony Rixon 166-05-0 peg 4
2.      Adrian Jefferies 132-02-0 peg 10
3.      John Thompson 127-11-0 peg 7
4.      Mike Nicholls 117-14-0 peg 15
5.      Matt Tomes 89-06-0 peg 36
6.      Tom Thick 87-05-0 peg 12

Top Silvers:

1.      Craig Edmonds 41-14-0 peg 16
2.      John Bradford 20-04-0 peg 9
3.      Nick Collier 20-0-0 peg 27

No comments: