Wednesday 29 August 2012

Wednesday 29/08/2010 - Avon Angling Open - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell

Today was our 42nd wedding anniversary and the Special One let me out fishing. However, I think the anniversary Gods were against me today.
 
It’s all about making decisions and the first bad one the Gods lead me in to was changing my usual route to the fishery and going through Wells instead of Shepton. I was stuck behind a huge farm vehicle for most of the way.
 
I was then unusually lead in to the middle of the draw queue and drew the one of the two pegs I didn’t want peg 130 (the other is 131). These pegs aren’t especially favourable for pole fishing.
 
Had the Gods finished with me as before the all-in our friendly Coach Driver Martin Lenaghan bought a round of teas – thanks drive!
 
I had decided to go for the Silvers as I felt I wouldn’t win any overall coin from this peg. So I set up a hard pellet rig consisting of a 4x14 jolly with a hair rigged Mosella band and a similar rig set for the soft pellet. Finally, my reliable 0.4 gram paste rig. I intended to fish all the rigs at 9 metres.
 
Starting on paste through the kinder pot with a few hard 4’s I think I was first in the match to hook a Carp, which was soon lost as it was foul hooked breaking the hook length and float. So on with another 0.4 paste float and another Carp hooked, unfortunately the hook pulled free at the net and another float broken! Yet another paste rig connected and out again with paste and a 5 lb Carp was soon in the net. Then in two put in I lost two flying Bream – a pattern forming – the Gods weren’t finished with me yet. I had one more small Carp and decided to come in short to 4 metres with the hard pellet rig, which resulted in a couple of small Skimmers and one more small Carp. I tried the soft pellet over this line which had no impact. So on with the paste (it’s the same depth at 4 metres as it is at 9). I had been steadily feeding hard fours and I had a run of six decent Bream and another small Carp, before the swim died.
 
Then the heavens opened up and it was the worse I have seen in GB. It was very much like the tropical storms we use to get in Barbados, where you can hear it coming five to ten minutes before you feel it. I didn’t have an umbrella, but the old smelly Gortex did its job.
 
With ¾ hour to go I went back out long where I had earlier fed a pot of 4’s, out of desperation than anything else.  It was Carp o clock with one a bung to the end plus one flying Bream. My thirteen accidental Carp weighed in at 68lb 10oz and my seven Skimmers/Bream 16lb 9oz for a total of 85lb 3oz. It was mission accomplished as amazingly enough this put me first in the Silvers.
 
The match was won by Mash (pictured right - being straggled by the Silvers winner) with 165lb 7oz from peg 114. Mash caught all his fish on paste.
 
The anniversary Gods hadn’t quite finished with me, as driving back my usual way I found the roads flooded, but managed to get through even though some were turning around. It was a slow long drive back.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Mash 165-07-0 peg 114
2.      Martin Lenaghan 163-10-0 peg 126
3.      Tom Thick 143-03-0 peg 135
4.      Mike West 120-07-0 peg 125
5.      Tony Rixon 110-0-0 peg 132
6.      Adrian Jeffery 106-6-0 peg 121
7.      Joe McMahon 105-11-0 peg 129
8.      Mark Poppleton 104-11-0 peg 116
9.      Martin Preston 100-14-0 peg 131
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Mike Nicholls 16-0909 peg 130
2.      Dave Roper 11-14-0 peg 111  

No comments: