Sunday 22 April 2012

Sunday 22/04/2012 - Avon Angling Open - Chiltern Trinity - Wildmarsh

Breakfast at the Hilltops CafĂ© was superb and as it happened was to be the highlight of mine and Bela’s day.

In to the draw container and out comes peg 22. Excellent, a draw I had been hoping for as it has plenty of Skimmer history, plus it was one of the "pegs on the outside of the Lake".

Arriving at the peg I was immediately concerned about the wind affect. So I set up the biggest float in the box a 4x18 Jolly to be fished as long as I thought possible with the wind strength, 10 metres to be fished over a GB line at 11 o clock. However, my main method was to be paste at the same distance but at 1 o clock. I also set up a Ronnie rig (this only produced four 3oz fish) and a margin paste rig (which produce a couple of speared Motherless). On to the GB line where I had fed seven balls of GB laced with micro, this produced just a couple of Ronnie’s on Maggot. As there was some blowing going on I switched to pellet which produce some more small Ronnie.  So I switched to paste over this line which produced – nothing. I had fed two big pots of micro over the paste line, so out went the paste and first put in I had a 2lb Skimmer. The wind had got up and unfortunately the tow was with the wind and I couldn’t keep the paste on longer that a few seconds. So I went over the line with 6mm expander on the Jolly rig and had two more Skimmers, losing one because of the gusting wind. The wind was ever increasing such that I couldn’t fish the pole any more. Luckily (where nearly) Paul Faiers lent me a feeder rod which produced only s few nibbled soft pellet. My match was clearly over. I packed up early very frustrated at there were fish in the swim but because of the conditions I couldn’t catch them – bugger. My three Skimmers and Ronnie’s weighed in at 7lb 8oz p- for nowhere.
The match was won by Adrian Jefferies (pictured right with his catch) with five Carp for 32lb 14oz from point peg 25. Adrian caught on conventional method feeder with micro pellet and big bunches of red maggot hook bait.

The Silvers was won by 2012 Fish o Mania qualifier Steve Tucker (pictured lower right) with 16lb 10oz from peg 58. Steve caught at 14.5 metres using various baits.
 
Runner up in the Slivers was Paul Faiers (Pictured lower right with his catch of three Tench and Skimmers - when is he going to bring Snow White with him). Paul caught a Tench on the pole using single caster, switching to the feeder with caster and worm hook bait once the wind picked up.

He man of the match was Steve kedge (pictured right playing
his third Carp his top a lot). Steve played three Carp for ½
hour each.
 
 Full Result:

1.      Adrian Jefferies 32-14-0 peg 25
2.      Dean Malin 27-08-0 peg 42
3.      Tony Rixon 26-09-0 peg 30
4.      Steve Kedge 26-02-0 peg 9
5.      Steve Tucker 24-07-0 peg 58
6.      Glen Calvert 23-01-0 peg 6

Top Silvers:
 
1.      Steve Tucker 16-10-0 peg 58
2.      Paul Faiers 16-05-0 peg 20
3.      Tony Rixon 15-0-0 peg 30 

No comments: