Thursday 26 April 2012

26/04/2012 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Withy Pool

I must sadly admit that I don’t miss fishing the River Avon these days. I regularly drive over the river on County Bridge on the way to Keynsham and at normal river levels look down stream for signs of the Dace which use to habitat this fast flowing waters with species up to 12 oz, alas no more. However, once the weir is flooded I do get the urge to get the Lobbies out, as it was always a leveller bringing a lot more swims into potential coin. That’s how it was today, but unfortunately out of season.

It was a lonely breakfast at ASDA today as matey Bob Warren couldn’t make it.

A few Coffin Dodgers had cried off due to the weather forecast, but still 20 hardy soles braved the weather. In to the draw bag and out comes floppy ticket with peg 48 on it. Normally a good draw, but it was a peg that was going to be affected by the wind which was blowing side on right to left). The peg normally has to be fished as long as possible. Having deliberated on how long to fish the peg I plumbed for 7 metres. The decision was based on that I could always go longer later if it didn’t produce. However, I was unlikely to pull fish in short if starting long. I started by feeding a pot of 50/50 Caster and wetted micro at 7 metres. With 6 mm expander on the 4x18 Jolly rig.  I got line indications straight away and after 20 minutes landed two consecutive big Skimmers. The swim died so incorrectly I switched to CW&C with worm on the hook. This resulted in a patient 12oz Roach and three Perch. By feeding the worm I completely buggered the swim. I decided to put a big pot of micro in at 11.5 metres and once the wind dropped go over it. However, it wasn’t until the last hour that I tried it with 6mm expander. I was soon getting liners and foul hooked a big Skimmer which came off. Next cast I repeated this misfortune, before I landed four big Skimmers. I did come in short again with worm and foul hooked a Carp which broke my 0.14 hook length. My Silvers weighed in at 18lb 8oz for Silvers third and seventh overall.

The match was won by Alan Jones (pictured right with his five Carp catch) with 47lb from peg 42. Alan caught at 13 metres up the shelf at 13 metres using 6mm meat hook bait fished over potted meat. Alan fed about ¾ on a tin.

The Silvers was won by Andy Smith (pictured lower right with the match winner) with 24lb 12oz from peg 66. Andy caught on the waggler using red maggot hook bait fished over hand fed GB Laced with a few hook bait offerings.

It looks as if we have taken a step backwards in terms of water temperature as second in the Silvers Dave Gillard also caught on the GB and maggot, but this time fished through a feeder – food for thought me thinks.

Full Result:

1.      Alan Jones 47-0-0 peg 42
2.      Harry Muir 46-10-0 peg 73
3.      Terry Bruton 31-10-0 peg 61
4.      Paul Haines 30-09-0 peg 49
5.      Andy Smith 24-12-0 peg 66
6.      Dave Gillard 20-03-0- peg 60
7.      Mike Nicholls 18-08-0 peg 48

Top Silvers:

1.      Andy Smith 24-12-0 peg 66
2.      Dave Gillard 20-03-0 peg 60
3.      Mike Nicholls 18-08-0 peg 48
4.      Mike Jones 13-04-0 peg 46

No comments: