Thursday 23 June 2011

Thursday 23/06/2011 - Bathampton AA Over 55's And Disabled - Withy Pool

I was planning on going to the Viaduct “Skivers” match, but because of the likely heavy traffic around Glastonbury due to the festival I decided on the Coffin Dodgers on Withy Pool instead.

It was a good turn out of 24 mostly due to the hard work of organiser Mike Jones ringing around and rallying the Dodgers.

Ray Bazeley was in attendance and presented me with his Leicester County emblem The “Silverfox” - stick pin - pictured top right. Something I will treasure, making it a memorable day for me in more ways than one.

In to the draw bucket and out comes peg 50. This is usually the Carp flyer, but on arrival I was surprised to see … (see photo right). BAA has roped off each end of the gully between the bank and island, and then filled it with tree branches! The sign on the rope explains some of the reasoning. Has Withy Lake really been suffering from illegal immigration? Because of this the usual way of fishing the peg wasn’t an option – long over to the point of the island as it would only end in tears for both the angler and fish. So I set up a paste rig for the LH margin, a 4x16 Jolly to be fished over GB at 9 metres at 2 o clock (farthest from the island). I then set up the usual Ronnie rig for caster. I only had three small Ronnie’s on this rig so no more about that. On the whistle I put in ten balls of Gimps Gold and Sensas Magic combination. It took a few minutes before I started to catch small Skimmers on 6 mm expander. This lasted about an hour by which time I had 10lb 6oz - the Carp had decided to play. So I turned around 90 degrees and dropped the paste in at 4 metres over the 4mm hard pellet I had been lightly feeding since the start. The float went away and I lost a “refugee” leaving my rig waving in the submerged tree branches. I lost another three even on 22 elastic. So I fished shorter using just the top set having a good few hours landing 14 Carp from 8lb to 20lb. I was thankful for my “No Limit” Colmic top set which didn’t let me down as I could not add any sections otherwise it was another one for the refuge! My Carp (pictured right with two of them weighing 35lb – courtesy of Ray Bazeley) weighed in a 151lb 2oz giving me a total of 161lb 8oz for first overall.

Whilst I was fishing for the Silvers Terry Bruton hooked a Carp (which proved to be foul hooked) and unknowing to me swam in to my rig giving a false bite. It was soon apparent to both of us that we were playing the same fish from opposite sides of the Lake! As soon as I realised I put on some extra sections to enable terry to land the fish. Soon after his hook pulled free as as often happens were left hook to kook across the lake which was locked firm by the stretched elastic. Terry had more sections available to him so he shipped out allowing be to grab the line and disconnect us - good job we both were using soft elastic.

Perhaps BAA should fill in all the gaps around all the Islands! Or even better just leave things as they are.

The Silvers was won by Rich Coles (pictured right with his nice bag of Skimmers) with 32lb 12oz of Bream and Skimmers from peg 43. Rich fed two lines at 11.5 metres. One line GB and casters the other line pellet. Rich caught about 50/50 pellet over pellet and triple dead red maggot over the GB.

Overall the lake fished very well considering the weather which seems to be effecting most fisheries at the moment.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 161-08-0 peg 50
2. Terry Bruton 68-01-0 peg 59
3. Ian Sheppard 57-02-0 peg 66
4. Rich Coles 48-12-0 peg 43
5. Bob Warren 45-04-0 peg 47
6. Terry Church 41-02-0 peg 54
7. Dave Poole 32-04-0 peg 46

Top Silvers:

1. Rich Coles 32-12-0 peg 43
2. Bob Warren 25-04-0 peg 47
3. Terry Bruton 19-08-0 peg 59

No comments: