Monday 6 June 2011

Sunday 05/06/2011 - Avon Angling Float Only Open - Landsend - All Lakes - Round Two

I hadn’t been to Landsend for many months and suddenly find myself fishing three matches in last month at the venue. So early in to the draw queue where I found Ron Hardiman trying to push in. Ron said he reads my blog every week but never sees his name. I explained that the precursor was for him to catch some fish first, so there you go a mention in case you don’t.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 22 for the second time in a week. I fished the peg on Bank Holiday Monday and had a great day’s fishing for Silvers. However, my experience was telling me not to expect it to fish the same – I was right. This Lake has a real hammering over the past month. Arriving at the peg there appeared to be less fish activity, however, I decided to fish it similarly for the first four hours with the Wire stem Jolly leaving the last two hours to fish the margins.

Starting on the soft pellet is was immediately apparent it wasn’t going to be as good for the Silvers as the previous match even though the weather conditions were identical (to a human anyway), as I had four quick 3lb Carp. I did manage three Crucian’s and a Skimmer before I converted my swim from pellet to 6mm meat by feeding some wetted micro with a dozen pieces of meat. Whilst this was fizzing away I decided to try the margins with one of my “Special Occasion” floats. This is a float of which I have only one left and are now obsolete. In this case a 4x10 Drennen Wire stem chop. These floats are ideal for caster in shallow water. I had previously potted feed with some 6mm meat in with the caster and first put in had a 8oz Perch. For the next half hour I had a Perch a bung anywhere from 2oz to 8oz. I did enjoy this whilst it lasted as it had gone quite for most anglers I could see adding 5lb to the Silvers net. The swim went quite so I tried the meat over the pellet and had another two Carp. So after feeding the swim heavy I went back in to the margin and had a hefty Tench. This made up my mind to forget the Carp and focus the rest of the match on Silvers as I had heard from Leon Hubbard that the match was fishing hard for Silvers. I tried for the Ronnie’s on the usual rig but they were conspicuous by their absence. I decided to see if there was any Chub over on the island, so using my margin rig again with caster I squeaked (pole was in the drying out mode) out 14.5 metres of pole I immediately had a foul hooked a spawning Carp which nearly ended up in peg 1! Another hook was soon attached and out again and a Carp in the mouth – Umm. I fed some caster attracting the Ronnie’s which were welcome but not at 14.5 metres! I squeaked out again with meat on the hook and had an F1 looking type fish. As the Chub weren’t out plying I decided to go back in the margin and kept a few Perch and Ronnie’s coming until the last ten minutes when I hooked an 8lb Carp which I nearly got in the Lnet but it made a dash for the platform and broke me on the metal tubes. I was despondent not because I lost the Carp but because I had lost a “Special Occasion” floats. With only minutes left packed up early – not like me. However, Nick Collins cheered me up as he might have a source for these floats – hope so. My Seven Carp weighed in at 28lb 12oz and surprisingly the Silvers went 21lb 12oz for fifth in the Silvers and an overall weight of 50lb 8oz which was enough to put upstart Tom Thick out of the knockout. I was 3rd in section with 5 points.

I must mention Mike Baber (pictured right with some of his catch) fishing next peg 21 who after a slow start until he also switched to caster catching Carp at 13 metres about one foot deep. Well done matey. A section win and 5th overall.

The match was won by Ray Hayward (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 51 with 91lb 14oz. Ray caught over to the opposite island close to the overhanging tree using meat over meat.

The Silvers was won by Steve Segar with 28lb 8oz from peg 9. Steve caught on caster over caster.

I was going to mention what a prat Tony Rixon is for once again having too many fish in one keep net - but I won’t, instead I will remind him that there are 14lb and not 10lb in a stone and you are 18 stones.

Full Result:

1. Ray Hayward 91-14-0 peg 51
2. Chris Davis 82-15-0 peg 42
3. Tony Rixon 81-06-0 peg 78
4. Tim Clark 74-10-0 peg 58
5. Mike Baber 68-06-0 peg 21
6. Andy Lloyd 66-10-0 peg 41

Top Silvers:

1. Steve Segar 28-08-0 peg 9
2. Tom Thick 26-08-0 peg 40
3. Matt Tomes 24-04-0 peg 36

No comments: